Jun 24, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
One day after saying he needed to get his head out of his butt Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez told Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News that he’d be willing to serve as a setup man if traded to “good teams like the Yankees or the Rays.”
Here’s more from Rodriguez, who’s 20-for-23 converting saves with a 3.25 ERA:
If I am going to be traded, obviously I want the opportunity to close out games, but if it’s going to be good teams like the Yankees or the Rays, and it’s going to be for two months, I can go out there and help them out. I mean I would definitely love to stay here, but I have to be open to every possibility out there right now.
Complicating matters is that Rodriguez has a $17 million option for 2012 that vests with 55 games finished and he already has 28. Moving into a setup role would end that possibility and Rodriguez indicated previously he’d be willing to waive the 2012 option if the team trading for him wanted to work out a new multi-year deal.
It’s tough to see the Rays making a strong run at Rodriguez when he’s paid about as much in a month than their whole bullpen earns in a season and they’re also not short on young arms in the minors, but with Rafael Soriano and Joba Chamberlain hurt he’d seemingly be an intriguing option setting up Mariano Rivera for the Yankees.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 1
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 34
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)