Francisco Rodriguez open to being setup man if traded to “good teams like the Yankees or Rays”

Jun 24, 2011, 11:51 AM EST

Francisco Rodriguez

One day after saying he needed to get his head out of his butt Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez told Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News that he’d be willing to serve as a setup man if traded to “good teams like the Yankees or the Rays.”

Here’s more from Rodriguez, who’s 20-for-23 converting saves with a 3.25 ERA:

If I am going to be traded, obviously I want the opportunity to close out games, but if it’s going to be good teams like the Yankees or the Rays, and it’s going to be for two months, I can go out there and help them out. I mean I would definitely love to stay here, but I have to be open to every possibility out there right now.

Complicating matters is that Rodriguez has a $17 million option for 2012 that vests with 55 games finished and he already has 28. Moving into a setup role would end that possibility and Rodriguez indicated previously he’d be willing to waive the 2012 option if the team trading for him wanted to work out a new multi-year deal.

It’s tough to see the Rays making a strong run at Rodriguez when he’s paid about as much in a month than their whole bullpen earns in a season and they’re also not short on young arms in the minors, but with Rafael Soriano and Joba Chamberlain hurt he’d seemingly be an intriguing option setting up Mariano Rivera for the Yankees.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Is he kidding me?

BOTHER KROD!

• jimbo1949 - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Is this gonna be set up on automatic reply also?

• uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Hello my friend. I think K-Rod better hope then that the Rays want him real bad. I don’t see the Yankees/Cashman having any interest in K-Rod or his contract. Unless the Mets are willing to eat 1/2 of it, and I doubt that will happen. Also, based on the way the Soriano trade has worked out so far I can’t see Levine flexing his Yankees muscles to overrule Cashman. So it is with absolutely certainty I wish K-Rod luck somewhere other then Yankees Stadium.

• Kevin S. - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM

There’s no such thing as a bad one-year contract. K-Rod’s option won’t vest in the Bronx, and Cashman could browbeat them with the fact that they essentially lit $85 million on fire over the next three years between Jeter and Soriano if the Steinbrothers try telling him they can’t afford Rodriguez.

• uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Kevin S – I wouldn’t be to sure about his 2012 $17.5M option not vesting. If I read the option correctly K-Rod needs to 55 games in 2011 he currently has 36, 100 games combined for 2010 and 2011 he currently has 89. By my calculation that means if he gets in 19 games for the remained of the season he’s vested. Providing a doctor says he’s healthy, which I’m sure at least at this point isn’t an option. Like I said so unless the Mets are willing to eat at least half of that $17.5M for 2012 I can’t see the Yankees having any interest in K-Rod. Not when you consider they will owe Soriano $11M for 2012 and Mo $15M. It ain’t gonna happen, and especially with Robertson really showing how valuable he has been this season. That’s just my opinion.

• Kevin S. - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Games finished, UFY. If he comes in for the eighth, it doesn’t count.

• uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Kevin S – Thank you. I stand corrected. I still think there is at least a possibility that he will vest. The piece indicates then that he needs 27 games finished to vest. Maybe it’s a stretch but between now and the latter portion of July the Mets have approximately 30 games left. It certainly wouldn’t be unheard of to get at least 7 or more opportunities to finish games before a trade happens. That would only mean at most he would need 20 more games. Probably more then one would except him to get in a Yankees uniform, but you never can tell. I’m sorry but I still don’t see him being a Yankee. Especially like I said with the way Robertson has performed, and if Soriano comes back even in late July plus the abundance of arms the Yankees would have in the pen if both Colon and Hughes come back healthy. Sorry, but that’s just my opinion.

• Kevin S. - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:44 PM

The fact that the Yankees have so many other good pen arms is exactly why he won’t reach the games finished threshold needed. The only way that would happen is if Mariano missed a significant amount of time, and at that point the front office would tell Girardi to use the best bullpen combination he could, vesting options be damned.

2. Jonny 5 - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM

K-Rod in the “other” NY? Nooooooooo. LOLZ!!! Anywhere but Philly…. That’s all I’m sayin’

3. pjmitch - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM

This guy continues to be an idiot. Keep your mouth shut KROD and pitch

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Didn’t Mariano specifically request that KRod’s locker be across the room from his own at the all star game a couple of years ago? I’m not saying the Yankees should inquire, but if Mariano publicly hates his guts, I imagine it would be tough for Frankie to mesh with the Yankees locker room and bullpen. Maybe they should concentrate on the A’s or Padres available relievers instead. Or better yet, get their own guys back and healthy.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I was going to say the same thing. He’s a tool and not the type of guy the Yankees look for. I really hope Hank doesn’t fall in love with him and insist Cashman pick him up. Hopefully, they listen to Mo.

5. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I guess if your head is up your own ass you need ugly thick glasses like that see through your own K-Sh@t!

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Not a shot at people who wear glasses (Craig), its just most people’s glasses dont look like James Worthy sharted them out of his sport goggles.

6. Ari Collins - Jun 24, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I’m not sure why some people hate K-Rod so much. Sure, he’s reportedly a bit of a dick, but he’s also very, very good. His career ERA is 2.54 and his career strikeout rate is 11.28.

I guess it’s because he’s an overpaid player on a losing NY team? Yeah, that’s probably it.

Anyway, he’d still be a great addition to anyone’s bullpen, but he’ll cost enough in salary (with an extension) that he won’t actually bring much besides salary relief to the Mets. Which could be a good thing if you’re the Yanks, Sox, Phils, etc., and you can just throw money at your bullpen problem.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I think it is all the fist pumping and screaming and general carrying on his does after only giving up 2 runs while protecting a 3 run lead. Valverde is a bit more eccentric in his histrionics. However, anything Frankie lacks in originality he makes up for in enthusiasm. He is a very good reliever, but I think the over-the-top ego displays on the mound, combined with the reputation that exceeds his actual talent level have turned off many fans.

For what it’s worth, I hated him with the Angels, before he was either in NY or overpaid.

• Ari Collins - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Fair complaint.

Point being, though, that none of these reasons for disliking him have anything whatsoever to do with how much he can help a bullpen.

• FC - Jun 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM

@Aaron: true, but remember there have been off the field issues as well, so there’s a question of his attitude being poisonous in a club environment.

• Kevin S. - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Why bother extending him? The Mets would give him away for a song, use him out of the eighth, then say “Adios!”

• Ari Collins - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:21 PM

He’s got a NTC for 10 teams. Not sure which teams those are, but in exchange for being a setup man and not getting that $17M option guaranteed, he might ask for an extension.

• Kevin S. - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Ah. Well, unless he has all of the well-heeled contenders blocked, I’m still not seeing how there isn’t an out here.

• Ari Collins - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:53 PM

If he has the pick of 10 teams (as often happens), he can pretty well block most if not all of them. And he only has to block the few that are interested.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Naa Ari, no good for the Phills. They are too close to the luxury tax to add a guy with his salary if he can’t hit RH…

But I tend to agree, if you avoid his latest issues he is a great pitcher, who just so happens to punch himself in the head as some sort of award for pitching well and hits women and old men. But a good pitcher he is…..

7. pisano - Jun 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM

He needs to be drug tested, because he must be on acid (for you lames, thats LSD)

8. FC - Jun 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I have no idea if K-Rod will ever mature, I’ve been watching him both on TV and in Person since forever, both in USA and Venezuela, he’ll just never shed off that arrogant sheen he seems enclosed in all the time.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5020)
  2. M. Kemp (3525)
  3. J. Upton (2750)
  4. J. Kang (2748)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2661)
  1. C. McGehee (2660)