Jun 24, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
Jed Lowrie will not need surgery on his left shoulder, but he did receive a new diagnosis after getting a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum earlier this week.
According to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, it was determined that a bruised nerve has caused the soreness in Lowrie’s left shoulder. There’s still no timetable for his return, however.
“The nerve shut down the whole area,” Lowrie said. “We knew the [scapula] wasn’t moving properly and the shoulder had some weakness. I was never told anything about the nerve.
“It’s going to be hard work to move properly and get that strength back, but I think we have a heading at this point and know exactly what is going on.”
Lowrie originally injured the shoulder in a collision with teammate Carl Crawford on May 29. He was placed on the disabled list last week after he felt his shoulder pop out of the socket on a swinging strikeout against Rays’ left-hander David Price last Thursday.
Lowrie is hitting .270/.319/.403 with three home runs and 25 RBI over 216 plate appearances this season. He was hitless over his last 15 at-bats before being placed on the disabled list.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 28
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 96
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 72
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 72
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)