Jun 24, 2011, 7:40 PM EST
Jed Lowrie will not need surgery on his left shoulder, but he did receive a new diagnosis after getting a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum earlier this week.
According to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, it was determined that a bruised nerve has caused the soreness in Lowrie’s left shoulder. There’s still no timetable for his return, however.
“The nerve shut down the whole area,” Lowrie said. “We knew the [scapula] wasn’t moving properly and the shoulder had some weakness. I was never told anything about the nerve.
“It’s going to be hard work to move properly and get that strength back, but I think we have a heading at this point and know exactly what is going on.”
Lowrie originally injured the shoulder in a collision with teammate Carl Crawford on May 29. He was placed on the disabled list last week after he felt his shoulder pop out of the socket on a swinging strikeout against Rays’ left-hander David Price last Thursday.
Lowrie is hitting .270/.319/.403 with three home runs and 25 RBI over 216 plate appearances this season. He was hitless over his last 15 at-bats before being placed on the disabled list.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)