Jun 24, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
Jed Lowrie will not need surgery on his left shoulder, but he did receive a new diagnosis after getting a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum earlier this week.
According to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, it was determined that a bruised nerve has caused the soreness in Lowrie’s left shoulder. There’s still no timetable for his return, however.
“The nerve shut down the whole area,” Lowrie said. “We knew the [scapula] wasn’t moving properly and the shoulder had some weakness. I was never told anything about the nerve.
“It’s going to be hard work to move properly and get that strength back, but I think we have a heading at this point and know exactly what is going on.”
Lowrie originally injured the shoulder in a collision with teammate Carl Crawford on May 29. He was placed on the disabled list last week after he felt his shoulder pop out of the socket on a swinging strikeout against Rays’ left-hander David Price last Thursday.
Lowrie is hitting .270/.319/.403 with three home runs and 25 RBI over 216 plate appearances this season. He was hitless over his last 15 at-bats before being placed on the disabled list.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)