Jun 24, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Jim Thome was scheduled to come off the disabled list today, but instead the 40-year-old designated hitter will likely remain on the sidelines through at least the weekend with his back and quadriceps injuries.
Ron Gardenhire told 1500-ESPN that Thome “is still having some issues” while rehabbing at extended spring training in Florida.
He’s been out since June 1 and received a cortisone injection for his back on June 10. With the Twins playing in Milwaukee this weekend there’s no rush to bring Thome back as a pinch-hitter, but they start a nine-game homestand Monday.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)