Jun 24, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Jim Thome was scheduled to come off the disabled list today, but instead the 40-year-old designated hitter will likely remain on the sidelines through at least the weekend with his back and quadriceps injuries.
Ron Gardenhire told 1500-ESPN that Thome “is still having some issues” while rehabbing at extended spring training in Florida.
He’s been out since June 1 and received a cortisone injection for his back on June 10. With the Twins playing in Milwaukee this weekend there’s no rush to bring Thome back as a pinch-hitter, but they start a nine-game homestand Monday.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 5
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 21
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car