Jun 24, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Jose Contreras joined Brad Lidge on the disabled list, with Jim Salisbury of CSN Philadelphia writing that he’s expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a strained forearm, and ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports that “the Phillies are asking around about bullpen help.”
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said recently that the Phillies aren’t going to make a big splash at the trade deadline this year, in part because their payroll is maxed out, but obviously that could change or the Padres could eat the $3 million or so Bell is owed for the second half.
Bell is an impending free agent and the Padres are in last place at 32-44, so unless they plan to re-sign him to multi-year contract for elite closer money it would certainly make sense for San Diego to cash him in for prospects by July 31. In fact, with Bell, Mike Adams, and Chad Qualls the Padres should probably be the first call every contending team makes in their search for veteran bullpen help.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)