Phillies place Roy Oswalt on disabled list, release J.C. Romero

Jun 24, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT

oswalt ap AP

Roy Oswalt is worried about his back problems forcing him into retirement, so it’s no surprise that the Phillies have placed him on the disabled list before even waiting for the results of the MRI exam scheduled for Monday.

There seems to be a legitimate fear that he’ll never pitch again and if he does come back it certainly won’t be within two weeks, so the DL stint was a no-brainer. Scott Mathieson replaced Oswalt on the roster.

Along with putting Oswalt on the shelf the Phillies also released J.C. Romero, who predictably passed through waivers unclaimed after they designated him for assignment last week. Between his $1.35 million salary and disastrous numbers versus right-handed hitters Romero simply wasn’t worth a waiver claim and will probably have to work his way back to the majors on a minor-league contract. He’s merely a left-handed specialist at this point.

1. Utley's Hair - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Sigh….

Get better as soon as you can, but don’t rush it, Roy—if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Juan Carlos, thanks for 2008. It was a fun ride. Good luck.

• natstowngreg - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:50 PM

It makes perfect sense.

2. Jonny 5 - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM

A beer or 12 will make the Roy news better… Yeah….. Friday.

3. uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Can anyone spell “reclamation project” for Cashman. A left handed specialist in Yankee stadium to basically face Gonzalez and Ortiz. If he has anything left in the tank I can see a minor league deal and see where that takes him. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Honestly, I would have kept him and dumped Baez. Don’t know what gives here. But yeah, he’s not a bad pick up imo.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Any way they can drop Baez and call up a pitching machine?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I read the Baez is kind of a bullpen mentor and helps the other guys with mechanics and stuff. Kind of weird I know, but maybe that is why they keep him around. On another note, where is ‘Bicepts today? These topics seem right up his alley.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 24, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Doc- Bicepts quit yesterday and is out drinking with Riggleman.Probably disparaging the rest of us.

• TheWizard - Jun 24, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I couldn’t figure out the Baez thing either, until I learned about his work with the young pitchers.

That’s why he’s there, as well as an innings-eater in blowout time.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Sorry, uyf, I don’t go along with this. We’ll run out of roster shots and pretty soon be blocking some farm team candidates from gaining experience. To make Romero work for us (in such a limited basis) doesn’t do it for me until the trade deadline has past and many alternbatives have been considered.

• uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM

My friend, signing a player to a minor league deal doesn’t take up a roster spot. Like I said nothing ventured, nothing gained. If he can’t or doesn’t cut it on a minor league deal you cut him lose. Besides this is basically July now. The rosters get expanded Sept. 1st. If he can hang around in the minors until then with decent stats I’m sure there is plenty of room on the bench for one more warm body, especially the way Logan (the only other lefty specialist) has looked this season.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 24, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I should have expanded on my thoughts a little more, uyf. We both want the best possible team and there are merely different thoughts on how to do it.
        I’m thinking the Kevin Millwood disaster-waste of time, you’re thinking, as am I, the remarkable efforts of Colon (who came around from injuries) and Garcia (who altered his style to revive his performance) .These are both great examples of talent evaluation that have been of immeasurable help to us.
        But Romero and the aforementioned Millwood have very recent examplkes that they are not of the quality that we need, so let’s look more carefully at other possibilities.
        I’m just not quite ready for the “any port in a storm” with, at the very least and in the same timeframe, our relievers coming off the DL.
        There again, you have a better eye for pitchers, I tend to be immersed in offense, and together we do our part.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM

RIght now the Yanks only have one lefty- who can’t even get lefties out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 24, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Don’t worry, I’m evaluating a good nickname for Mr. Logan.

• foreverchipper10 - Jun 24, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Balloon Logan…..as in his inflated ERA.

5. spudchukar - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Maybe I got something wrong, but I believe the Phils, flat out released Romero, must pay him the remainder of this season’s salary, and he can sign with anybody for the minimum.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM

whats that like 3 DL trips so far for roy boy? expect more philly starters to join him, lots of millage on some of those arms that are due for a breakdown or two

• mercyflush - Jun 24, 2011 at 10:25 PM

dirty harry, we get it. you’re obsessed with the Phillies.

7. philly56 - Jun 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM

To be honest I think this whole Oswalt possibly facing retirement thing has been blown way out of proportion. The article quoted by this blog mentioned that someone ASKED him if he was facing his retirement and he gave what I would consider a pretty standard non-answer (you pitch as long as you can pitch and then you can’t and it’s over, or something like that). It’s not as though he mentioned a fear of retirement on his own.

Also, I remember reading an article on Oswalt around the time the Phils acquired him – it said one time he was working on his truck and accidentally electrocuted himself, and while the shock may have killed a lesser man it actually alleviated some pain he had in his back at the time and he went on to pitch that night pain free. So, the Phillies need to electrocute Roy Oswalt.

8. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Roy can now spend the next 15 days with his family building an addition on the house in Mississippi while also bulldozing any trees that are giving the neighborhood problems and using the backhoe to dig a ditch needed for irrigation of the local crops.

Or he can REST HIS FRIGGING BACK AND GET BETTER FOR THE HOME STRETCH OF THE JOB THAT HE IS BEING PAID $16 MILLION DOLLARS TO DO!!!!

Somehow, since he feels that baseball is “like 3rd of 4th” on his list of priorities, I predict he’ll be sitting on the dozer tomorrow.

It’s all cool though…the Phillies can squeak by with Doc, Lee and Carlton once the playoffs begin. The only thing this puts in jeopardy is whether the Phillies win 100 games or not.

9. leftywildcat - Jun 24, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Where’s Pedro Martinez when you need him?

And if Roy O. gets hurt again next year, we’ll have Jamie Moyer ready to go.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey