Jun 24, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Rays reliever J.P. Howell left the team and traveled back to Florida to have his left foot examined by team doctors yesterday and the southpaw has been diagnosed with gout.
Howell pitched through the pain twice already and Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune reports that he’ll likely be back with the Rays tonight and available out of the bullpen at some point this weekend, avoiding a trip to the disabled list.
He’ll no doubt do anything he can to avoid the DL after missing all of last season and most of this year following shoulder surgery. Howell has allowed 12 runs in 8.2 innings since returning.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)