Jun 24, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Rays reliever J.P. Howell left the team and traveled back to Florida to have his left foot examined by team doctors yesterday and the southpaw has been diagnosed with gout.
Howell pitched through the pain twice already and Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune reports that he’ll likely be back with the Rays tonight and available out of the bullpen at some point this weekend, avoiding a trip to the disabled list.
He’ll no doubt do anything he can to avoid the DL after missing all of last season and most of this year following shoulder surgery. Howell has allowed 12 runs in 8.2 innings since returning.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)