Roger Clemens trial is on track for July 6th

Jun 24, 2011, 3:30 PM EST

Roger Clemens

Most trials never start when they’re supposed to due to all kinds of pretrial wrangling and stuff. But that’s not the case with Roger Clemens.  Today the law firm that could have appealed the order granting Clemens access to the Mitchell Report notes decided not to appeal, thereby clearing the way for baseball’s second biggest steroid/perjury/former superstar criminal trial to get underway on July 6th.

We’ll obviously get way more into it as the opening statements draw near, but for those who care and lost track: my view is that Clemens is in way, way, way deeper doo-doo than Bonds was. This is because, unlike Bonds, another witness and possibly multiple witnesses will take the stand in his case and will say, under oath, that Clemens lied.  Which kind of matters in a perjury case.

Is it a perfect case? No. Brian McNamee will be subject to a rigorous cross-examination based on the fact that he frequently lied in the past when it suited his interests to do so.  But he also can explain why he did that (i.e. to keep his meal ticket, Clemens, out of trouble), and that’s a somewhat understandable reason for lying from his perspective.  And it’s counterbalanced, of course, by the fact that Clemens will be portrayed as having ample reason to lie at the time, what with his career and then-good reputation to protect.

The best use of government resources? Nah. But given that Clemens’ own conduct and public relations onslaught — and not a crazy-obsessed government investigation — fomented the proceedings in which the alleged perjury took place, I have way less of a problem with this than I did with the Bonds prosecution.

Oh, and the fact that Clemens is kind of scummy helps my conscience too.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 24, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I just want him and Bonds charged with whatever and have this done with.

2. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM

When Clemens and Bonds come up for the Hall of Fame for the first time in 2013 things are going to get interesting.

• purdueman - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I doubt it. There’s no way either will be lucky to get more than 25% of the vote, as the writer’s aren’t about to let these lying, cheating, arrogant a-holes in on the first ballot, if at all.

3. purdueman - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM

If there’s even a remote chance at Roger receiving the death penalty, I’ll volunteer to help build the gallows! Arrogant, lying, cheating, a-hole!

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM

and after you build it do everyone a favor and be the first to try it out, you know to make sure it works

• purdueman - Jun 24, 2011 at 6:28 PM

GREAT IDEA!

• JBerardi - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Oh goodness. Someone fetch the fainting couch and the smelling salts…

4. purdueman - Jun 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM

GREAT IDEA! What collar side are your shirts (so I make sure to buy enough rope), and when can you be in the LA area for me to try it out on you?

• jwbiii - Jun 24, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Rather than the neck size, you should be thinking about the body weight. Here are some recommended drops (Weights in lbs, heights in ft in):
      196 8′
      168 8’8″
      154 9′
      112 10′

• purdueman - Jun 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM

True, but I only have Clemens phony published pre-roid’s weight that his teams released, not his real post-roids bulked up weight, so I guess I’ll have to wing it!

5. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:49 AM

dont worry about his weight, you just worry about trying it out first and concentrate on that and only that and if it goes right you wont have any worries anymore

• purdueman - Jun 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM

But I AM willing to try it out first, but you haven’t given me your weight and what day you’re planning on coming to LA to experience rope burn in addition to sunburn first hand.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5738)