Jun 24, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Mark Cuban is always a popular topic of conversation around here. To feed that jones, go read Jayson Stark’s column today assessing Cuban, baseball’s opinion of him and his chances of one day becoming a baseball owner. Here’s the highlight of the column, though. It’s a baseball insider quoted by Stark, summing up Bud Selig’s impression of Cuban:
“Bud does not have any interest in an owner who wants to be The Story. … Also, Bud’s not interested in owners who are going to overtly challenge him publicly.”
Process that a bit while you think about Frank McCourt, who has been both The Story and a gigantic pain in Bud’s kiester for the past year or two. The point: you never know what you’re gonna get, so you may as well make sure that whoever you let in the club is well-funded.
My thing on Cuban: I know he was in the bidding for the Cubs for a bit, and I know he was outbid for the Rangers as a minority partner with Jim Crane last year. But do we know how hard he pressed for the Cubs? After he was left out of subsequent rounds of bidding, he had a lot to say about the deal not making perfect sense for him. Same story about upping his bid in the Rangers’ thing.
While we like to think that Cuban has been blackballed, is that really the case? Has he truly gone after a team full-bore, only to be rejected because of who he is? Or is it, as is almost always the case, a bit more complicated than all of that?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)