Jun 24, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT
Mark Cuban is always a popular topic of conversation around here. To feed that jones, go read Jayson Stark’s column today assessing Cuban, baseball’s opinion of him and his chances of one day becoming a baseball owner. Here’s the highlight of the column, though. It’s a baseball insider quoted by Stark, summing up Bud Selig’s impression of Cuban:
“Bud does not have any interest in an owner who wants to be The Story. … Also, Bud’s not interested in owners who are going to overtly challenge him publicly.”
Process that a bit while you think about Frank McCourt, who has been both The Story and a gigantic pain in Bud’s kiester for the past year or two. The point: you never know what you’re gonna get, so you may as well make sure that whoever you let in the club is well-funded.
My thing on Cuban: I know he was in the bidding for the Cubs for a bit, and I know he was outbid for the Rangers as a minority partner with Jim Crane last year. But do we know how hard he pressed for the Cubs? After he was left out of subsequent rounds of bidding, he had a lot to say about the deal not making perfect sense for him. Same story about upping his bid in the Rangers’ thing.
While we like to think that Cuban has been blackballed, is that really the case? Has he truly gone after a team full-bore, only to be rejected because of who he is? Or is it, as is almost always the case, a bit more complicated than all of that?
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 3
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)