Cashman says Phil Hughes will probably need “a few more” starts in the minors

Jun 25, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT

Phil Hughes AP

Phil Hughes made his second minor league rehab start last night with Double-A Trenton. And the results were decidedly mixed.

Hughes allowed one run on two hits over 3 1/3 innings while walking two and striking out three. He threw 42 out of 72 pitches for strikes.

And while Hughes topped out at 95 mph on the radar gun in Sunday’s start with Class A Staten Island, he reached 93 mph on his fastball last night and mostly sat in the 89-91 mph range. Of course, that’s better than the 89.3 mph he averaged on his fastball before going on the disabled list, but the Yankees are obviously watching his velocity closely.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was in attendance for last night’s start and told Fred Kerber of the New York Post that Hughes still has some work to do.

“He was OK,” said Cashman, who had proclaimed velocity and continuing to build arm strength as the goals of the evening. “He needs to command his fastball better and get his consistency going. He probably needs a few more starts.”

Before the game, Cashman told Matt Ehalt of ESPNNewYork.com that Hughes’ next start will probably come with Double-A Trenton, with a pitch count around 90. Things could change if Brian Gordon struggles in the rotation, but it’s increasingly likely that Hughes will need two or three more starts before returning from the disabled list.

1. metalhead65 - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I wish the reds gm had as much sense as cashman. maybe the joke of a pitcher that is volquez would still be in the minors working on controlling his “stuff” instead of being a batting practice pitcher he is for the reds. that along with bringing chapmann back up after being horrible in his rehab assignment.

• raysfan1 - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:00 PM

not sure I’d call Volquez a “joke,” but I agree the Reds seem to be rushing their guys

• metalhead65 - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM

aside from his first half season with the reds he has been a joke. he goes 5 maybe 6 innings max while always putting the reds in a hole before they get their first at bat. he walks as many as he strikes out and the only reason he has a winning record is the that the reds scored so many runs for him early in the season. how about your rays trade for him?my reds will you give you volquez for price straight up! sound like a good deal to you? didn’t think so because volquez sucks so bad. still say the trade that brought him to the reds was one of the worst deals ever,but hey the reds do not have to worry about Hamilton falling off the wagon do they?

• raysfan1 - Jun 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Actually, while I adopted the Rays when they came into existence, I’ve been a Reds fan since my first consciousness of the sport as a boy in 1970. My boyhood hero was Johnny Bench. So–not trades unless I think they’ll help both teams! I’d say at this point both Hamilton’s former teams would love to have him back, wouldn’t they? [I use the "raysfan" handle partly because there are seemingly so few of us.]

As for Volquez–he was injured in ’09, but last year’s PED suspension’s all on him. This year has been substandard, no argument. It just takes a lot to get me me to call a person a joke. If his 2nd half is no better, then I’d recommend cutting ties though.

2. raysfan1 - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Here’s hoping for the best for him. I realize of course that would strengthen a rival, but baseball is best when all the best players are healthy.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:08 PM

If it takes a few more minor league starts, that’s fine. Why have Hughes come back early of not to be prepared to win a game? There are other pitchers that will have to step up, as well as the need to improve our run production, to keep ourselves afloat til everyone is healthy. I hope it’s by August 1st and a mystery guest comes on squad before the trade deadline.

• uyf1950 - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

My friend, I think we will see him up with the big league team the week of July 17th. Just my opinion looking at the calendar. It’s his fastball that’s key and that seems to be improving a little bit with each rehab outing. I’m hoping and it looks like he’s coming along, and that can only be a good thing for the Yankees.

4. patsandsox - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I agree with Len why rush him, its better to wait until the pitcher is ready. Otherwise he will pitch lousy and probably set him back.

Whens Colon coming back?

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3478)