CC Sabathia becomes first pitcher in majors to reach 10 wins

Jun 25, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT

New York Yankees' CC Sabathia throws pitch to Colorado Rockies in New York

CC Sabathia tossed eight innings of one-run ball in an 8-3 victory over the Rockies this afternoon. Sabathia scattered seven hits while striking out nine and walking just one. He didn’t allow his first run until a pinch-hit RBI single by Seth Smith in the top of the eighth inning.

Sabathia improves to 10-4 on the year and is the first pitcher in MLB to reach 10 wins this season. According to Elias, the Yankees haven’t had a pitcher reach 10 wins first in MLB since Tommy John in 1979. The big left-hander now has a 3.25 ERA and 93/30 K/BB ratio through 17 starts this season.

As for the offense, Mark Teixeira hit his 22nd home run of the season while Jorge Posada went 3-for-4 with an RBI double. Alex Rodriguez finished the day 2-for-3 with a walk and three RBI. He wasn’t running 100 percent this afternoon and was actually pulled from the game after seven innings, but his batting average is up to .300 for the first time since April 28.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM

This is how we do it! Don’t care if the other 11 stuck at nine wins all win tonight, CC is first, combined with great offense by ARod, Tex, Grumpy and others. This is how we can play with injuries.

• uyf1950 - Jun 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Yankeesfanlen, an excellent outing by CC today. He had of couple of jams that he was able to work out. 8 innings, 1 ER, 9 K’s and 1 BB just around 100 pitches for the day. First to 10 wins and with an excellent ERA 3.25
      Just a side thought my friend on A-Rod. I know it’s been mentioned that his shoulder may be bothering him and that may be effecting his power (HR’s). Well to be honest in my opinion I kind of like this A-Rod not over swinging, making solid contact and getting extra base hits and driving in runs. I hope he can keep it up. It seemed like just about every Yankee contributed today even Cervelli, and that’s a good thing.

2. aceshigh11 - Jun 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Nice going, CupCake! Or is it CheeseCake?

Hey, I can make of fun of his weight all day, but the guy is a monster pitcher. His build is what makes him so strong and durable. He’ll last in the Majors WAY longer than some skinny beanpole.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 25, 2011 at 6:24 PM

CC has won 50 games in just under 2 1/2 seasons

4. tinker61 - Jun 25, 2011 at 9:13 PM

From watching him pitch today, it appears that Sabathia is heading back to his dominate form for the second half. Now if Phil Hughes can get back to he was the first half of last season it appears that the rotation his much better than some of the haters laughed about earlier. I think Bartolo Colon’s arm is fine. Hopefully, his legs hold up. Should be an interesting second half.

5. pisano - Jun 25, 2011 at 11:31 PM

CC is not only a no.1 starter, but he’s a horse. One of the best moves the Yankees have made on a pitcher no matter what they paid. I’d hate to think where they’d be without him. The man never misses a start and will always get you to the 7th or 8th inning.There aren’t too many out there like him. As my friend says:” just my opinion”.

• uyf1950 - Jun 26, 2011 at 4:38 AM

How are you doing my friend? You’re exactly right 7 out of his last 8 starts he has gone at least 7 full innings. Giving the Yankees a much need boost and the bullpen a much need rest in those cases…and yes that is just my opinion. Let’s hope for another “W” for the 1st place Yankees today (Sunday).

Orioles turn AL East on its head