Jun 25, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
CC Sabathia tossed eight innings of one-run ball in an 8-3 victory over the Rockies this afternoon. Sabathia scattered seven hits while striking out nine and walking just one. He didn’t allow his first run until a pinch-hit RBI single by Seth Smith in the top of the eighth inning.
Sabathia improves to 10-4 on the year and is the first pitcher in MLB to reach 10 wins this season. According to Elias, the Yankees haven’t had a pitcher reach 10 wins first in MLB since Tommy John in 1979. The big left-hander now has a 3.25 ERA and 93/30 K/BB ratio through 17 starts this season.
As for the offense, Mark Teixeira hit his 22nd home run of the season while Jorge Posada went 3-for-4 with an RBI double. Alex Rodriguez finished the day 2-for-3 with a walk and three RBI. He wasn’t running 100 percent this afternoon and was actually pulled from the game after seven innings, but his batting average is up to .300 for the first time since April 28.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)