Jun 25, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
CC Sabathia tossed eight innings of one-run ball in an 8-3 victory over the Rockies this afternoon. Sabathia scattered seven hits while striking out nine and walking just one. He didn’t allow his first run until a pinch-hit RBI single by Seth Smith in the top of the eighth inning.
Sabathia improves to 10-4 on the year and is the first pitcher in MLB to reach 10 wins this season. According to Elias, the Yankees haven’t had a pitcher reach 10 wins first in MLB since Tommy John in 1979. The big left-hander now has a 3.25 ERA and 93/30 K/BB ratio through 17 starts this season.
As for the offense, Mark Teixeira hit his 22nd home run of the season while Jorge Posada went 3-for-4 with an RBI double. Alex Rodriguez finished the day 2-for-3 with a walk and three RBI. He wasn’t running 100 percent this afternoon and was actually pulled from the game after seven innings, but his batting average is up to .300 for the first time since April 28.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)