Jun 25, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
CC Sabathia tossed eight innings of one-run ball in an 8-3 victory over the Rockies this afternoon. Sabathia scattered seven hits while striking out nine and walking just one. He didn’t allow his first run until a pinch-hit RBI single by Seth Smith in the top of the eighth inning.
Sabathia improves to 10-4 on the year and is the first pitcher in MLB to reach 10 wins this season. According to Elias, the Yankees haven’t had a pitcher reach 10 wins first in MLB since Tommy John in 1979. The big left-hander now has a 3.25 ERA and 93/30 K/BB ratio through 17 starts this season.
As for the offense, Mark Teixeira hit his 22nd home run of the season while Jorge Posada went 3-for-4 with an RBI double. Alex Rodriguez finished the day 2-for-3 with a walk and three RBI. He wasn’t running 100 percent this afternoon and was actually pulled from the game after seven innings, but his batting average is up to .300 for the first time since April 28.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)