Jun 25, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
CC Sabathia tossed eight innings of one-run ball in an 8-3 victory over the Rockies this afternoon. Sabathia scattered seven hits while striking out nine and walking just one. He didn’t allow his first run until a pinch-hit RBI single by Seth Smith in the top of the eighth inning.
Sabathia improves to 10-4 on the year and is the first pitcher in MLB to reach 10 wins this season. According to Elias, the Yankees haven’t had a pitcher reach 10 wins first in MLB since Tommy John in 1979. The big left-hander now has a 3.25 ERA and 93/30 K/BB ratio through 17 starts this season.
As for the offense, Mark Teixeira hit his 22nd home run of the season while Jorge Posada went 3-for-4 with an RBI double. Alex Rodriguez finished the day 2-for-3 with a walk and three RBI. He wasn’t running 100 percent this afternoon and was actually pulled from the game after seven innings, but his batting average is up to .300 for the first time since April 28.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)