Jun 25, 2011, 10:37 PM EDT
Young took a bad route on Betancourt’s deep fly ball and looked to suffer a serious injury when his leg met the out-of-town scoreboard along the left field wall. He was replaced in the Minnesota lineup by Luke Hughes, who took over at first base with Michael Cuddyer shifting to the outfield.
Young, 25, was 0-for-2 in the game before exiting. He’s batting just .256/.281/.324 with two home runs and 20 RBI in 217 plate appearances this season. The Twins should provide an update shortly.
UPDATE, 9:31 PM: According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Young has been diagnosed only with a right ankle sprain. Initial X-rays did not show any type of fracture.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)