Jun 25, 2011, 3:39 PM EDT
Derek Jeter likely won’t be ready to return from the disabled list when he’s eligible Wednesday, but he took an encouraging step in his rehab from a calf injury earlier today.
According to the Associated Press, Jeter took 27 swings off the tee and 30 swings of soft toss today at the Yankees’ spring training complex in Tampa, Florida. It was his first time swinging a bat since being placed on the disabled list with a right calf strain on June 14. While Jeter also played catch for a fifth straight day, he has yet to test his calf by running.
“We just have to make sure his legs are under him and he can make those sharp cuts he needs to make and he can get out of the box fine,” Girardi said before Saturday’s game against the the Colorado Rockies. “We have to make sure he’s ready, that we don’t push this.”
Wednesday can safely be ruled out at this point, but we’ll have a more clear indication about a timetable once he begins running without discomfort. It’s expected that he will need to go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)