Jun 25, 2011, 3:39 PM EST
Derek Jeter likely won’t be ready to return from the disabled list when he’s eligible Wednesday, but he took an encouraging step in his rehab from a calf injury earlier today.
According to the Associated Press, Jeter took 27 swings off the tee and 30 swings of soft toss today at the Yankees’ spring training complex in Tampa, Florida. It was his first time swinging a bat since being placed on the disabled list with a right calf strain on June 14. While Jeter also played catch for a fifth straight day, he has yet to test his calf by running.
“We just have to make sure his legs are under him and he can make those sharp cuts he needs to make and he can get out of the box fine,” Girardi said before Saturday’s game against the the Colorado Rockies. “We have to make sure he’s ready, that we don’t push this.”
Wednesday can safely be ruled out at this point, but we’ll have a more clear indication about a timetable once he begins running without discomfort. It’s expected that he will need to go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 44
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 57
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 45
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)