Jun 25, 2011, 3:39 PM EDT
Derek Jeter likely won’t be ready to return from the disabled list when he’s eligible Wednesday, but he took an encouraging step in his rehab from a calf injury earlier today.
According to the Associated Press, Jeter took 27 swings off the tee and 30 swings of soft toss today at the Yankees’ spring training complex in Tampa, Florida. It was his first time swinging a bat since being placed on the disabled list with a right calf strain on June 14. While Jeter also played catch for a fifth straight day, he has yet to test his calf by running.
“We just have to make sure his legs are under him and he can make those sharp cuts he needs to make and he can get out of the box fine,” Girardi said before Saturday’s game against the the Colorado Rockies. “We have to make sure he’s ready, that we don’t push this.”
Wednesday can safely be ruled out at this point, but we’ll have a more clear indication about a timetable once he begins running without discomfort. It’s expected that he will need to go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)