Jun 25, 2011, 3:39 PM EST
Derek Jeter likely won’t be ready to return from the disabled list when he’s eligible Wednesday, but he took an encouraging step in his rehab from a calf injury earlier today.
According to the Associated Press, Jeter took 27 swings off the tee and 30 swings of soft toss today at the Yankees’ spring training complex in Tampa, Florida. It was his first time swinging a bat since being placed on the disabled list with a right calf strain on June 14. While Jeter also played catch for a fifth straight day, he has yet to test his calf by running.
“We just have to make sure his legs are under him and he can make those sharp cuts he needs to make and he can get out of the box fine,” Girardi said before Saturday’s game against the the Colorado Rockies. “We have to make sure he’s ready, that we don’t push this.”
Wednesday can safely be ruled out at this point, but we’ll have a more clear indication about a timetable once he begins running without discomfort. It’s expected that he will need to go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated.
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 0
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 99
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 33
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)