Jun 25, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
Jeff Mathis has inexplicably remained a favorite of Angels manager Mike Scioscia for a few seasons now, despite a .198/.261/.307 lifetime batting line and overstated defensive contributions behind the plate. I really hate to pile on the guy, but he did something that was was just too funny to ignore during last night’s game against the Dodgers.
In the fifth inning, Mathis responded to Tony Gwynn Jr.‘s steal of second base by throwing to first base. Really. I mean, I’ve done that in video games before by pressing the wrong button — I hate when that happens — but I’m not sure how this could happen in real life.
Anyway, if you want to watch it yourself, Sam Miller of the Orange County Register has a GIF of the play, as well as hilarious pictures of Mathis and Scioscia immediately following the throw. It’s a must-see.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)