Jun 25, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
Jeff Mathis has inexplicably remained a favorite of Angels manager Mike Scioscia for a few seasons now, despite a .198/.261/.307 lifetime batting line and overstated defensive contributions behind the plate. I really hate to pile on the guy, but he did something that was was just too funny to ignore during last night’s game against the Dodgers.
In the fifth inning, Mathis responded to Tony Gwynn Jr.‘s steal of second base by throwing to first base. Really. I mean, I’ve done that in video games before by pressing the wrong button — I hate when that happens — but I’m not sure how this could happen in real life.
Anyway, if you want to watch it yourself, Sam Miller of the Orange County Register has a GIF of the play, as well as hilarious pictures of Mathis and Scioscia immediately following the throw. It’s a must-see.
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot