Jun 25, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
Jeff Mathis has inexplicably remained a favorite of Angels manager Mike Scioscia for a few seasons now, despite a .198/.261/.307 lifetime batting line and overstated defensive contributions behind the plate. I really hate to pile on the guy, but he did something that was was just too funny to ignore during last night’s game against the Dodgers.
In the fifth inning, Mathis responded to Tony Gwynn Jr.‘s steal of second base by throwing to first base. Really. I mean, I’ve done that in video games before by pressing the wrong button — I hate when that happens — but I’m not sure how this could happen in real life.
Anyway, if you want to watch it yourself, Sam Miller of the Orange County Register has a GIF of the play, as well as hilarious pictures of Mathis and Scioscia immediately following the throw. It’s a must-see.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)