Jun 25, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
Jeff Mathis has inexplicably remained a favorite of Angels manager Mike Scioscia for a few seasons now, despite a .198/.261/.307 lifetime batting line and overstated defensive contributions behind the plate. I really hate to pile on the guy, but he did something that was was just too funny to ignore during last night’s game against the Dodgers.
In the fifth inning, Mathis responded to Tony Gwynn Jr.‘s steal of second base by throwing to first base. Really. I mean, I’ve done that in video games before by pressing the wrong button — I hate when that happens — but I’m not sure how this could happen in real life.
Anyway, if you want to watch it yourself, Sam Miller of the Orange County Register has a GIF of the play, as well as hilarious pictures of Mathis and Scioscia immediately following the throw. It’s a must-see.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)