Jun 25, 2011, 2:01 PM EDT
Jeff Mathis has inexplicably remained a favorite of Angels manager Mike Scioscia for a few seasons now, despite a .198/.261/.307 lifetime batting line and overstated defensive contributions behind the plate. I really hate to pile on the guy, but he did something that was was just too funny to ignore during last night’s game against the Dodgers.
In the fifth inning, Mathis responded to Tony Gwynn Jr.‘s steal of second base by throwing to first base. Really. I mean, I’ve done that in video games before by pressing the wrong button — I hate when that happens — but I’m not sure how this could happen in real life.
Anyway, if you want to watch it yourself, Sam Miller of the Orange County Register has a GIF of the play, as well as hilarious pictures of Mathis and Scioscia immediately following the throw. It’s a must-see.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (154)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)