Jun 25, 2011, 5:21 PM EST
Depending on what you hear right now, Nationals interim manager John McLaren may or may not be leaving the organization.
Major-league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that McLaren will likely resign when the Nationals name Davey Johnson as their new manager.
McLaren, who was ejected in the eighth inning during his first game as interim manager last night, reportedly plans to step aside out of loyalty to Riggleman as well as “his overall frustration with the Nationals’ situation.” Of course, McLaren served as bench coach under Riggleman, so the Nationals may need to settle on a replacement for the major league staff.
Meanwhile, Bill Ladson of MLB.com hears that McLaren is “not leaving the Nationals,” so it’s possible that he will stay with the organization in another capacity.
Johnson could take over as manager as soon as Monday, though the Nationals have yet to make an official announcement. The reported reason for the delay is because Johnson’s agent is currently in Japan.
UPDATE, 8:05 PM: Amanda Comack of the Washington Times has confirmed that McLaren is staying with the Nationals in a front office role.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)