Jun 25, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
Depending on what you hear right now, Nationals interim manager John McLaren may or may not be leaving the organization.
Major-league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that McLaren will likely resign when the Nationals name Davey Johnson as their new manager.
McLaren, who was ejected in the eighth inning during his first game as interim manager last night, reportedly plans to step aside out of loyalty to Riggleman as well as “his overall frustration with the Nationals’ situation.” Of course, McLaren served as bench coach under Riggleman, so the Nationals may need to settle on a replacement for the major league staff.
Meanwhile, Bill Ladson of MLB.com hears that McLaren is “not leaving the Nationals,” so it’s possible that he will stay with the organization in another capacity.
Johnson could take over as manager as soon as Monday, though the Nationals have yet to make an official announcement. The reported reason for the delay is because Johnson’s agent is currently in Japan.
UPDATE, 8:05 PM: Amanda Comack of the Washington Times has confirmed that McLaren is staying with the Nationals in a front office role.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)