Jun 25, 2011, 5:21 PM EST
Depending on what you hear right now, Nationals interim manager John McLaren may or may not be leaving the organization.
Major-league sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that McLaren will likely resign when the Nationals name Davey Johnson as their new manager.
McLaren, who was ejected in the eighth inning during his first game as interim manager last night, reportedly plans to step aside out of loyalty to Riggleman as well as “his overall frustration with the Nationals’ situation.” Of course, McLaren served as bench coach under Riggleman, so the Nationals may need to settle on a replacement for the major league staff.
Meanwhile, Bill Ladson of MLB.com hears that McLaren is “not leaving the Nationals,” so it’s possible that he will stay with the organization in another capacity.
Johnson could take over as manager as soon as Monday, though the Nationals have yet to make an official announcement. The reported reason for the delay is because Johnson’s agent is currently in Japan.
UPDATE, 8:05 PM: Amanda Comack of the Washington Times has confirmed that McLaren is staying with the Nationals in a front office role.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)