Jun 25, 2011, 7:48 PM EDT
Niese struck out seven batters and allowed only two runs over 5 2/3 quality innings against a dangerous Rangers lineup. But it was a steamy day in north Texas and the heat almost certainly played a factor in the lefty’s irregular heartbeat.
Mets manager Terry Collins told reporters in his postgame press conference Saturday that the matter is not considered serious and Niese was later spotted smiling while walking around the visiting clubhouse. It’s feasible that the 24-year-old southpaw, who has a solid 3.70 ERA in 97 1/3 frames this season, won’t need to miss any more action.
UPDATE, 7:55 PM: According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Niese said he is “unalarmed” by the rapid heartbeat but is likely to undergo further testing next week in Detroit.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)