Jun 25, 2011, 7:48 PM EDT
Niese struck out seven batters and allowed only two runs over 5 2/3 quality innings against a dangerous Rangers lineup. But it was a steamy day in north Texas and the heat almost certainly played a factor in the lefty’s irregular heartbeat.
Mets manager Terry Collins told reporters in his postgame press conference Saturday that the matter is not considered serious and Niese was later spotted smiling while walking around the visiting clubhouse. It’s feasible that the 24-year-old southpaw, who has a solid 3.70 ERA in 97 1/3 frames this season, won’t need to miss any more action.
UPDATE, 7:55 PM: According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Niese said he is “unalarmed” by the rapid heartbeat but is likely to undergo further testing next week in Detroit.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)