Jun 25, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
During an interview on FOX earlier this afternoon, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo confirmed that Davey Johnson will be named as the team’s next manager.
However, contrary to various reports about a multi-year contract, Rizzo said that Johnson will only be the manager through the end of the 2011 season before the situation is reevaluated.
Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post was kind enough to transcribe the interview:
“Well, Davey’s part of the furniture, put it that way,” Rizzo said. “He’s signed a long-term consultant contract, we’re figuring out dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s on that. But he’s gonna manage the team through ‘11, we’re going to reevaluate after the season. Davey will be a part of the reevaluation process. We’re going to do a manager search, he’ll be part of the manager search, he’ll be one of the candidates for the manager search. And we’ll see what happens after that. But Davey is going to be in the organization for a long, long time. As long as Mike Rizzo is running the organization, Davey Johnson will be part of the organization.”
And though there is some confusion about John McLaren’s role moving forward, Rizzo made it sound as though he will remain in the organization in some capacity.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)