Jun 25, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
During an interview on FOX earlier this afternoon, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo confirmed that Davey Johnson will be named as the team’s next manager.
However, contrary to various reports about a multi-year contract, Rizzo said that Johnson will only be the manager through the end of the 2011 season before the situation is reevaluated.
Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post was kind enough to transcribe the interview:
“Well, Davey’s part of the furniture, put it that way,” Rizzo said. “He’s signed a long-term consultant contract, we’re figuring out dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s on that. But he’s gonna manage the team through ‘11, we’re going to reevaluate after the season. Davey will be a part of the reevaluation process. We’re going to do a manager search, he’ll be part of the manager search, he’ll be one of the candidates for the manager search. And we’ll see what happens after that. But Davey is going to be in the organization for a long, long time. As long as Mike Rizzo is running the organization, Davey Johnson will be part of the organization.”
And though there is some confusion about John McLaren’s role moving forward, Rizzo made it sound as though he will remain in the organization in some capacity.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)