Jun 25, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
According to ESPN’s Steve Berthiaume, Oswalt has been diagnosed with a bulging disc in his lower back and is likely to be sidelined until August.
Oswalt, 33, has posted a quality 3.79 ERA in 13 starts this season for Philadelphia and will certainly be missed over the next month-plus. But the National League East-leading Phillies have their eyes on a bigger prize and will play it safe with the veteran starter to ensure that he is healthy for autumn baseball.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 33
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)