Jun 25, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
According to ESPN’s Steve Berthiaume, Oswalt has been diagnosed with a bulging disc in his lower back and is likely to be sidelined until August.
Oswalt, 33, has posted a quality 3.79 ERA in 13 starts this season for Philadelphia and will certainly be missed over the next month-plus. But the National League East-leading Phillies have their eyes on a bigger prize and will play it safe with the veteran starter to ensure that he is healthy for autumn baseball.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)