Jun 25, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
According to ESPN’s Steve Berthiaume, Oswalt has been diagnosed with a bulging disc in his lower back and is likely to be sidelined until August.
Oswalt, 33, has posted a quality 3.79 ERA in 13 starts this season for Philadelphia and will certainly be missed over the next month-plus. But the National League East-leading Phillies have their eyes on a bigger prize and will play it safe with the veteran starter to ensure that he is healthy for autumn baseball.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 17
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 55
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)