Jun 25, 2011, 7:21 PM EST
According to ESPN’s Steve Berthiaume, Oswalt has been diagnosed with a bulging disc in his lower back and is likely to be sidelined until August.
Oswalt, 33, has posted a quality 3.79 ERA in 13 starts this season for Philadelphia and will certainly be missed over the next month-plus. But the National League East-leading Phillies have their eyes on a bigger prize and will play it safe with the veteran starter to ensure that he is healthy for autumn baseball.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 48
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 24
- Roy Halladay is retiring 54
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 49
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)