Jun 25, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
According to ESPN’s Steve Berthiaume, Oswalt has been diagnosed with a bulging disc in his lower back and is likely to be sidelined until August.
Oswalt, 33, has posted a quality 3.79 ERA in 13 starts this season for Philadelphia and will certainly be missed over the next month-plus. But the National League East-leading Phillies have their eyes on a bigger prize and will play it safe with the veteran starter to ensure that he is healthy for autumn baseball.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)