UPDATE: Shin-Soo Choo out “at least” six weeks with broken thumb

Jun 25, 2011, 1:20 PM EST

Cleveland Indians v San Francisco Giants Getty Images

UPDATE: According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, Choo will likely need surgery on the thumb and is expected to miss at least six weeks.

10:10 AM: Shin-Soo Choo‘s nightmare season just got a little bit worse.

According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Choo was diagnosed with a broken left thumb after being hit being hit by a pitch from Jonathan Sanchez in the fourth inning of last night’s game against the Giants.

Indians manager Manny Acta isn’t sure how long Choo will be sidelined, as he was still being evaluated at a local hospital following the game, but we probably won’t see him for a while.

“Losing Choo is a big blow for us,” said manager Manny Acta. “He means so much to us not only offensively, but defensively and running the bases. He’s a very important part of our lineup. Especially the way he was coming on with the bat the last couple of weeks.”

Choo is batting just .244/.333/.353 with five home runs, 28 RBI and a .687 OPS over 306 plate appearances this season. The 28-year-old admitted earlier this month that he is pressing at the plate following his DUI arrest in May.

1. purdueman - Jun 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM

When broadcaster Hawk Harrelson heard the news, he quipped: “HE GONE!!!”

I’m sure that Choo won’t be in any pain though, what with his person stash of 100 proof cabbage vodka from his kimchee pots! :-)

• oldnumero7 - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

You display below-average intelligence, poor judgement and racist attitudes. But you went to Purdue, so I guess it all makes sense.

• purdueman - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM

who the hell are YOU to judge ANYBODY? Seems to me like you’re the judgmental one. I hate “political correctness” and fella, you’re just way too thinned skinned, but that likely also makes you 25 or younger would be my guess.

• writtenbyross - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM

The Purdue thing may have been judgemental (negatively toward other Purdue alum), but the first statement was truth.

• writtenbyross - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

And, no, I am not 25 or under since that seems to be your litmus test for getting you.

• oldnumero7 - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Look, you made a joke. That joke made you look like a Grade-A dumbass. I took a swing at a joke of my own, and frankly I knocked it out of the park dude.

But nice try on guessing my age and politics. You’re not even close, and for later reference remember that how thick or thin one’s skin is relates to how personally they take offense to a slight. I was not offended or shocked by your kimchee nonsense, it was just moronic.

• purdueman - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:07 PM

written… please, cut the political correctness CRAP. Even though I’m sure you think you’re perfect, you’re not any more perfect than anyone else.

• purdueman - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:10 PM

oldnumero… the only thing you knocked out of the park is what little intelligence that you have shown in your posts. If you’re over 25, that just makes you a do-gooder, politically correct buffoon.

• writtenbyross - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Do you know what political correctness [sic] means? (That’s rhetorical, btw)

• oldnumero7 - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM

All right, Purdue “Man.” It’s a sunny Saturday, and I’ve got better things to do than engage in a battle of wits with a mouth-breathing meathead. I’m out of here, but I’ll leave you with this.

I’m sure “political correctness” is a demonic slur on the other message boards (I’m guessing stormfront.org, etc.) that are lucky enough to be graced by your posts. You clearly have no idea what that term actually means or how to use it.You clearly lump anyone who dares criticize your outdated, regressive, race-based attempts at jokes in with the PC Police who you’re sure are ruining our society.

Making fun of someone’s ethnicity and culture is bullshit. It makes you an ignorant clown, and it makes everything else that comes out of your stupid piehole irrelevant. I like this blog, and I like what’s written here, and I won’t have it besmirched by some tool who thinks it’s awesome to make fried-chicken jokes about Curtis Granderson or refried-bean cracks at the expense of Adrian Gonzalez. Take that garbage somewhere else, you inbred loser.

• purdueman - Jun 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM

oldnumero… you flatter yoursel;f way too much, but you do a GREAT job of showing everyone what a thin skinned horses ass you are.

As long as you’re leaving to go do something else, why not do everyone here a favor and PERMANENTLY leave? Just google baseball chat rooms… I’m sure that you’ll find hundreds that you’d be happier on.

2. writtenbyross - Jun 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Maybe the Tribe can use this opportunity to get Choo to sign a long-term deal at a discount rate out of guilt. Somebody distract Boras.

3. purdueman - Jun 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Comments made clearly in jest towards people or situations that none of us personally know are just that… tongue in cheek comments made in jest. If any of you get your panties all tied up in a knot over them, that’s not only your problem, but it just encourages me all the more! Keep it up!

4. bigtrav425 - Jun 25, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Not really a big loss for us.altho the injury bug that we have sucks ass!

5. jwbiii - Jun 25, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Recent Travis Buck transactions:
    6/23/2011 Optioned
    6/18/2011 Recalled
    6/17/2011 Optioned

Expect another one.

• jwbiii - Jun 25, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Yup.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5709)