Jun 25, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, Choo will likely need surgery on the thumb and is expected to miss at least six weeks.
10:10 AM: Shin-Soo Choo‘s nightmare season just got a little bit worse.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Choo was diagnosed with a broken left thumb after being hit being hit by a pitch from Jonathan Sanchez in the fourth inning of last night’s game against the Giants.
Indians manager Manny Acta isn’t sure how long Choo will be sidelined, as he was still being evaluated at a local hospital following the game, but we probably won’t see him for a while.
“Losing Choo is a big blow for us,” said manager Manny Acta. “He means so much to us not only offensively, but defensively and running the bases. He’s a very important part of our lineup. Especially the way he was coming on with the bat the last couple of weeks.”
Choo is batting just .244/.333/.353 with five home runs, 28 RBI and a .687 OPS over 306 plate appearances this season. The 28-year-old admitted earlier this month that he is pressing at the plate following his DUI arrest in May.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 41
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)