Jun 25, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, Choo will likely need surgery on the thumb and is expected to miss at least six weeks.
10:10 AM: Shin-Soo Choo‘s nightmare season just got a little bit worse.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Choo was diagnosed with a broken left thumb after being hit being hit by a pitch from Jonathan Sanchez in the fourth inning of last night’s game against the Giants.
Indians manager Manny Acta isn’t sure how long Choo will be sidelined, as he was still being evaluated at a local hospital following the game, but we probably won’t see him for a while.
“Losing Choo is a big blow for us,” said manager Manny Acta. “He means so much to us not only offensively, but defensively and running the bases. He’s a very important part of our lineup. Especially the way he was coming on with the bat the last couple of weeks.”
Choo is batting just .244/.333/.353 with five home runs, 28 RBI and a .687 OPS over 306 plate appearances this season. The 28-year-old admitted earlier this month that he is pressing at the plate following his DUI arrest in May.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)