Jun 25, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, Choo will likely need surgery on the thumb and is expected to miss at least six weeks.
10:10 AM: Shin-Soo Choo‘s nightmare season just got a little bit worse.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Choo was diagnosed with a broken left thumb after being hit being hit by a pitch from Jonathan Sanchez in the fourth inning of last night’s game against the Giants.
Indians manager Manny Acta isn’t sure how long Choo will be sidelined, as he was still being evaluated at a local hospital following the game, but we probably won’t see him for a while.
“Losing Choo is a big blow for us,” said manager Manny Acta. “He means so much to us not only offensively, but defensively and running the bases. He’s a very important part of our lineup. Especially the way he was coming on with the bat the last couple of weeks.”
Choo is batting just .244/.333/.353 with five home runs, 28 RBI and a .687 OPS over 306 plate appearances this season. The 28-year-old admitted earlier this month that he is pressing at the plate following his DUI arrest in May.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 30
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)