Jun 26, 2011, 10:45 AM EST
Reds left-hander Aroldis Chapman made his first major league appearance Saturday since landing on the disabled list on May 15 due to a mix of shoulder inflammation and general ineffectiveness. And the outing couldn’t have gone any better.
According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, the Cuban-born phenom struck out the side in a perfect ninth inning to help the Reds secure a 10-5 interleague victory over the Orioles.
Reds manager Dusty Baker told reporters after the game that “Chapman appears to be back,” and it certainly looked that way. The 23-year-old struck out O’s catcher Matt Wieters on three straight pitches to start the inning, hitting 101 mph with a fastball to close out the at-bat. Chapman then carved up the free-swinging Mark Reynolds and light-hitting infielder Robert Andino. He needed just 12 pitches in all, and only three of those deliveries were balls.
Chapman was highly inconsistent on his lengthy 30-day minor league rehab assignment, so to suggest that all his troubles are behind him would be far too reactionary. But the early signs are most definitely promising.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)