Jun 26, 2011, 9:21 AM EDT
Young left-hander Brian Matusz surrendered nine hits and six earned runs in just 4 2/3 innings Saturday evening against the Reds and has posted an ugly 6.85 ERA and 1.84 WHIP since returning from the disabled list at the beginning of June.
But the Orioles aren’t overly concerned.
They’re going to let Matusz work out his issues in the major leagues, rather than demoting him to Triple-A Norfolk for a couple of starts.
Baltimore manager Buck Showalter confirmed in his postgame press conference late Saturday night that Matusz will remain in the big league rotation for at least one more outing. This quote comes via Roch Kubatko of MASN:
“It seems like a lot of balls squared up off him when he’s kind of down sometimes,” Showalter said. “It looks like he’s getting some outs up. I’ve seen him when he’s good, and he has good command of the fastball. Really all his pitches. Like I said, we’ll keep working, trying to get back to that status. That’s what the plan is.”
Matusz opened a lot of eyes last season when he registered a 7-3 record, 3.63 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over his final 14 starts. The O’s are going to need a similarly efficient second half from the 24-year-old here in 2011.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)