Jun 26, 2011, 9:21 AM EST
Young left-hander Brian Matusz surrendered nine hits and six earned runs in just 4 2/3 innings Saturday evening against the Reds and has posted an ugly 6.85 ERA and 1.84 WHIP since returning from the disabled list at the beginning of June.
But the Orioles aren’t overly concerned.
They’re going to let Matusz work out his issues in the major leagues, rather than demoting him to Triple-A Norfolk for a couple of starts.
Baltimore manager Buck Showalter confirmed in his postgame press conference late Saturday night that Matusz will remain in the big league rotation for at least one more outing. This quote comes via Roch Kubatko of MASN:
“It seems like a lot of balls squared up off him when he’s kind of down sometimes,” Showalter said. “It looks like he’s getting some outs up. I’ve seen him when he’s good, and he has good command of the fastball. Really all his pitches. Like I said, we’ll keep working, trying to get back to that status. That’s what the plan is.”
Matusz opened a lot of eyes last season when he registered a 7-3 record, 3.63 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over his final 14 starts. The O’s are going to need a similarly efficient second half from the 24-year-old here in 2011.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (123)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)