Jun 26, 2011, 9:21 AM EDT
Young left-hander Brian Matusz surrendered nine hits and six earned runs in just 4 2/3 innings Saturday evening against the Reds and has posted an ugly 6.85 ERA and 1.84 WHIP since returning from the disabled list at the beginning of June.
But the Orioles aren’t overly concerned.
They’re going to let Matusz work out his issues in the major leagues, rather than demoting him to Triple-A Norfolk for a couple of starts.
Baltimore manager Buck Showalter confirmed in his postgame press conference late Saturday night that Matusz will remain in the big league rotation for at least one more outing. This quote comes via Roch Kubatko of MASN:
“It seems like a lot of balls squared up off him when he’s kind of down sometimes,” Showalter said. “It looks like he’s getting some outs up. I’ve seen him when he’s good, and he has good command of the fastball. Really all his pitches. Like I said, we’ll keep working, trying to get back to that status. That’s what the plan is.”
Matusz opened a lot of eyes last season when he registered a 7-3 record, 3.63 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over his final 14 starts. The O’s are going to need a similarly efficient second half from the 24-year-old here in 2011.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (119)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)