Jun 26, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
The Pirates could have a new-look outfield when they open an interleague series Tuesday in Toronto.
Bucs left fielder Jose Tabata had to be wheeled off on a cart in the bottom of the first inning Sunday after suffering a serious left quadriceps injury while legging out a bunt single. Garrett Jones entered the game as a pinch-runner and took over in right field in the second inning as Matt Diaz shifted to left.
The Pirates are trying for a surprising three-game sweep of the formerly red-hot Red Sox.
If the injury is as bad as it looked and Tabata needs to be placed on the disabled list, prospect Alex Presley could become Pittsburgh’s new starting left fielder. A 25-year-old from Monroe, Louisiana, Presley has posted a sparkling .336/.389/.500 batting line with eight home runs, 36 RBI and 18 stolen bases in 75 games this season for Triple-A Indianapolis. He was pulled from the lineup at Triple-A on Sunday, soon after news of Tabata’s injury made its way to Indy.
The Pirates entered Sunday’s play with a 39-37 record, three games back in the National League Central.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)