Jun 26, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT
Cubs setup man Kerry Wood has been eligible to return from the disabled list for over 48 hours, and yet there is still no end in sight in his ongoing recovery from a slow-healing blister on his right index finger.
According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, Wood has been able to throw with and without padding over the blister, but he’s still not completely free of discomfort. And the Cubs want the blister to heal fully before bringing him back and trusting him in tight late-game situations.
Here’s Cubs manager Mike Quade, speaking to reporters after Saturday’s loss to the Royals:
“I’m trying to understand the blister thing,” Quade said. “It’s somewhat healed, but now you need layers of skin, a thickness, or even a callus if you can get it. He and (trainer Mark O’Neal) ought to have as good a fix on it as anybody because they’ve been through it before. I just wait until they tell me it’s good. I know he’d love to be ready at home (next week) and I hope he is, but I’m not sure of that yet.”
Wood, 34, has a posted a quality 2.25 ERA and 21/10 K/BB ratio in 24 innings of relief this season.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)