Jun 26, 2011, 10:13 AM EST
Cubs setup man Kerry Wood has been eligible to return from the disabled list for over 48 hours, and yet there is still no end in sight in his ongoing recovery from a slow-healing blister on his right index finger.
According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, Wood has been able to throw with and without padding over the blister, but he’s still not completely free of discomfort. And the Cubs want the blister to heal fully before bringing him back and trusting him in tight late-game situations.
Here’s Cubs manager Mike Quade, speaking to reporters after Saturday’s loss to the Royals:
“I’m trying to understand the blister thing,” Quade said. “It’s somewhat healed, but now you need layers of skin, a thickness, or even a callus if you can get it. He and (trainer Mark O’Neal) ought to have as good a fix on it as anybody because they’ve been through it before. I just wait until they tell me it’s good. I know he’d love to be ready at home (next week) and I hope he is, but I’m not sure of that yet.”
Wood, 34, has a posted a quality 2.25 ERA and 21/10 K/BB ratio in 24 innings of relief this season.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (248)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)