Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Jun 26, 2011, 8:39 AM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

It is June 26, 2011. On this date in baseball history, the Cleveland Indians became the first major league club to wear numbered uniforms (1916), the Yankees played the first night game in franchise history (1939), Mel Ott retired (1946), and Edwin Jackson no-hit the Rays on 149 pitches (2010).

Your Saturday box scores:

Red Sox 4, Pirates 6

Cubs 2, Royals 3

Twins 1, Brewers 11

Blue Jays 6, Cardinals 3

Mariners 2, Marlins 4

1. uyf1950 - Jun 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM

The Yankees won yesterday afternoon and virtually every Yankee player contributed even Cervelli, which to this Yankees fan came as a complete surprise. In a brief interview CC was asked out being the first to win 10 games this season his response and I quote”I wish I could say it meant something, but it don’t, “We’re here to win championships. That’s what we’re trying to do.” Truer words were never spoken.
    Today the Yankees start the day in 1st place. There will be many ups and downs over the course of a 162 game regular season. The important thing the only thing in the view of this Yankees fan is to be the last one standing come the latter portion of October.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Of course, we should also take this one day at a time. Nova has to keep his last performance in mind, and the more aggressive baserunning has to continue.
      Also sent my friends in Pittsburgh to go to PNC and encourage the Pirates to sweep.

• uyf1950 - Jun 26, 2011 at 11:42 AM

How are you doing my friend? Just to change the subject for a moment. It looks like Hughes rehab starts are coming along. A few more starts and if all goes well he should make it back to the big league team sometime around the middle of July (fingers crossed). As well hopefully Colon makes it back soon also.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 26, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I’m fine thanks uyf. Was just enjoying Old Timers Day with it’s rich glimpse of baseball history. One of the things that is clearly recognizable is the three latest dynasties coming together for the first time:
        50s- Yogi, Whitey, Moose, Larsen
        77-78- Reggie, Goose, etc.
        90s- Bernie for the first time, David Cone, Wells being the biggest toad in the puddle and calling for O’Neill to come next year, Tino hitting a HR in the game.
        Literally scores of Yankees lining each basepath, and a great tribute for Gene Monaghan.
        Always a super day loaded with history and memories all shared by teammates spread over 6 decades.
        Now time for another win.

2. APBA Guy - Jun 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM

The Battle of San Diego natives Cole Hamels and Trevor Cahill ended with a win to Cahill, who had great movement yesterday, especially with the changeup. The cruelest blow for the Phils was hometown (Cherry Hills, NJ) boy Andrew Bailey closing out the game for the Gold unis. The A’s threw their 2010 defense at the Phils yesterday with great catches (especially Jackson in right and Ellis at first) with some notable lack of hustle from D. Brown helping out. Jonny5 predicted 2 of 3 for the Phightins with every game close. Halladay’s going today against Outman and Jonny’s looking like he should open up a shop telling fortunes.

3. bcopus - Jun 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I happened to see Nelson Cruz get ball four yesterday, though nobody seemed to realize it was in fact ball four, then strike
    out afterwards. Ended up being a small point in the game, but it was strange. Nobody contested it whatsoever.

4. Old Gator - Jun 26, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I got to sleep early last night so I could haul my senescent carcass out of bed in the wee hours to catch an early flight, so I can’t comment in detail on a game I didn’t get to watch. I do note, however, that the Feesh scored all their runs early and then went back to sleep. That has been their pattern for much of this summer of their discontent. Fortunately, Chris Volstad and the boolpen were handing out albatross pendants and the crew of the Minnow were happy to wear them last night.

Okay, jet lag claims me. Off to ring up MLB.com on my mental dialysis unit.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4988)