Jun 27, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I didn’t mention this in the recaps this morning because I was too busy being clever about a 14-10 final score, but Evan Longoria had a huge game yesterday, going 4 for 6 with two homers and five RBI. He had a huge weekend, in fact, getting eight hits, three homers and 10 RBI against the Astros.
The interesting thing about it: he did it without batting gloves. It’s something he did in his rookie year, but not since. You can probably count the guys in baseball who don’t wear gloves on one hand. One, stinging, blistered, achy hand. It hurts my hands just thinking about it.
And don’t give me that “they used to do it back in the olden days and it was just fine” jive. They used to put mercury on scraped knees, let kids take baths in DDT and give people lobotomies as a cure for depression too, but that doesn’t make it any better. We’re civilized now, dammit, and we wear batting gloves.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)