Jun 27, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I didn’t mention this in the recaps this morning because I was too busy being clever about a 14-10 final score, but Evan Longoria had a huge game yesterday, going 4 for 6 with two homers and five RBI. He had a huge weekend, in fact, getting eight hits, three homers and 10 RBI against the Astros.
The interesting thing about it: he did it without batting gloves. It’s something he did in his rookie year, but not since. You can probably count the guys in baseball who don’t wear gloves on one hand. One, stinging, blistered, achy hand. It hurts my hands just thinking about it.
And don’t give me that “they used to do it back in the olden days and it was just fine” jive. They used to put mercury on scraped knees, let kids take baths in DDT and give people lobotomies as a cure for depression too, but that doesn’t make it any better. We’re civilized now, dammit, and we wear batting gloves.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)