Jun 27, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
I didn’t mention this in the recaps this morning because I was too busy being clever about a 14-10 final score, but Evan Longoria had a huge game yesterday, going 4 for 6 with two homers and five RBI. He had a huge weekend, in fact, getting eight hits, three homers and 10 RBI against the Astros.
The interesting thing about it: he did it without batting gloves. It’s something he did in his rookie year, but not since. You can probably count the guys in baseball who don’t wear gloves on one hand. One, stinging, blistered, achy hand. It hurts my hands just thinking about it.
And don’t give me that “they used to do it back in the olden days and it was just fine” jive. They used to put mercury on scraped knees, let kids take baths in DDT and give people lobotomies as a cure for depression too, but that doesn’t make it any better. We’re civilized now, dammit, and we wear batting gloves.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 32
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 9
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)