Jun 27, 2011, 8:27 PM EST
With the Brewers set to play against the Yankees and Twins this week under American League rules, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Mat Gamel has been called up from Triple-A Nashville.
Gamel, 25, was hitting .321/.380/.577 with 18 home runs and 58 RBI through 76 games with the Sounds, including a .347 batting average to go along with 10 homers over 25 games this month. Of course, while the former top prospect has regularly abused minor league pitching, he has an underwhelming .241/.335/.414 batting line over his first 167 major league plate appearances. Poorly timed injuries haven’t helped, but his star has faded a bit.
The Brewers discussed using Gamel in the outfield as recently as last season, but he has exclusively played first base so far in 2011. He’ll likely serve as the designated hitter for a couple games this week, but will also give Prince Fielder the chance to get a breather. And who knows, if Fielder walks this winter, Gamel could eventually be his replacement.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)