Jun 27, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Freese has been out for two months with a broken left hand, but hit .356 with an .865 OPS in 25 games before the injury and will slide right back into the lineup as the everyday third baseman after Daniel Descalso hit just .244 with a .666 OPS filling in.
Punto returns after missing six weeks with a forearm injury and previously sat out the first three weeks of the season following hernia surgery. He’ll play considerably less than Freese, but Tony La Russa will no doubt find plenty of opportunities to get his glove into the lineup.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 23
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 25
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)