Jun 27, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Freese has been out for two months with a broken left hand, but hit .356 with an .865 OPS in 25 games before the injury and will slide right back into the lineup as the everyday third baseman after Daniel Descalso hit just .244 with a .666 OPS filling in.
Punto returns after missing six weeks with a forearm injury and previously sat out the first three weeks of the season following hernia surgery. He’ll play considerably less than Freese, but Tony La Russa will no doubt find plenty of opportunities to get his glove into the lineup.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)