Jun 27, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Freese has been out for two months with a broken left hand, but hit .356 with an .865 OPS in 25 games before the injury and will slide right back into the lineup as the everyday third baseman after Daniel Descalso hit just .244 with a .666 OPS filling in.
Punto returns after missing six weeks with a forearm injury and previously sat out the first three weeks of the season following hernia surgery. He’ll play considerably less than Freese, but Tony La Russa will no doubt find plenty of opportunities to get his glove into the lineup.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)