Jun 27, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
While in West Virginia over the weekend I took the kids to a couple of scenic places in the New River Gorge and had a couple of nice meals. But this was easily the highlight of the trip. Found it in my wife’s childhood bedroom. Still in the wrapper, just waiting to be made into a righteous mix-tape. It obviously was never used for its intended purpose, so the question remains: would it have been meant to be a breakup mix tape (first song: “Pictures of You” by the Cure) or a new relationship mix-tape (first song: “In Your Eyes” by Peter Gabriel)? All I know is that it would have sounded great seeing as though it would have been made on that sweet silver-front stereo system in the background.
Anyway, here’s what else happened over the weekend:
- Davey Johnson. I’ll be damned.
- And he could be there for a while.
- The Rangers are scouting Yu Darvish. I have this feeling things won’t end well for him over here.
- Rafael Furcal could be moved to second base. One theory: Dee Gordon is so awesome he’s forcing the change. Competing theory: it’s simply way easier to find an extra second baseman for Furcal’s inevitable trip to the disabled list. Which should be coming any minute now.
- James Shields says that deal with the Devil is not the most fair document he’s ever signed, but he does like the certainty it provides.
- Ryan Madson: uncomfortably numb [cue righteous three minute guitar solo].
- Shin-Soo Choo is out at least six weeks with a broken thumb. At this point I’m thinking his year would have been better spent in the Korean army.
- Throw it to first! They’ll never expect it!
- Derek Jeter swung off a tee. Took 30 hacks. Only 27 of them bounced harmlessly to short, so he’s improving.
- The most depressing story of the weekend.
- The most horrifying story of the weekend. No, it has nothing to do with baseball, but I had to work this in there somewhere.
- Steve Soboroff resigns as Frank McCourt’s propagandist-in-chief.
- Roy Oswalt will be out for a while with a bulging disc. Note: there are few written phrases more needing of manual proofreading than “bulging disc.”
- Kerry Wood: “I’ve got blisters on my fingers!”
- The Giants may be interested in Yorvit Torrealba. What, there are no spare Molinas floating around?
- Keith Olbermann lost his Old Timers Day job at Yankee Stadium. I for one am shocked — shocked! — that he alienated someone and was forced to leave employment earlier than anticipated. It’s so unlike him.
Now watch as I hit [play/record] and [play] at the exact same time …
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)