Jun 27, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
While in West Virginia over the weekend I took the kids to a couple of scenic places in the New River Gorge and had a couple of nice meals. But this was easily the highlight of the trip. Found it in my wife’s childhood bedroom. Still in the wrapper, just waiting to be made into a righteous mix-tape. It obviously was never used for its intended purpose, so the question remains: would it have been meant to be a breakup mix tape (first song: “Pictures of You” by the Cure) or a new relationship mix-tape (first song: “In Your Eyes” by Peter Gabriel)? All I know is that it would have sounded great seeing as though it would have been made on that sweet silver-front stereo system in the background.
Anyway, here’s what else happened over the weekend:
- Davey Johnson. I’ll be damned.
- And he could be there for a while.
- The Rangers are scouting Yu Darvish. I have this feeling things won’t end well for him over here.
- Rafael Furcal could be moved to second base. One theory: Dee Gordon is so awesome he’s forcing the change. Competing theory: it’s simply way easier to find an extra second baseman for Furcal’s inevitable trip to the disabled list. Which should be coming any minute now.
- James Shields says that deal with the Devil is not the most fair document he’s ever signed, but he does like the certainty it provides.
- Ryan Madson: uncomfortably numb [cue righteous three minute guitar solo].
- Shin-Soo Choo is out at least six weeks with a broken thumb. At this point I’m thinking his year would have been better spent in the Korean army.
- Throw it to first! They’ll never expect it!
- Derek Jeter swung off a tee. Took 30 hacks. Only 27 of them bounced harmlessly to short, so he’s improving.
- The most depressing story of the weekend.
- The most horrifying story of the weekend. No, it has nothing to do with baseball, but I had to work this in there somewhere.
- Steve Soboroff resigns as Frank McCourt’s propagandist-in-chief.
- Roy Oswalt will be out for a while with a bulging disc. Note: there are few written phrases more needing of manual proofreading than “bulging disc.”
- Kerry Wood: “I’ve got blisters on my fingers!”
- The Giants may be interested in Yorvit Torrealba. What, there are no spare Molinas floating around?
- Keith Olbermann lost his Old Timers Day job at Yankee Stadium. I for one am shocked — shocked! — that he alienated someone and was forced to leave employment earlier than anticipated. It’s so unlike him.
Now watch as I hit [play/record] and [play] at the exact same time …
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 44
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)