HBT Weekend Wrap

Jun 27, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

mix tape

While in West Virginia over the weekend I took the kids to a couple of scenic places in the New River Gorge and had a couple of nice meals. But this was easily the highlight of the trip. Found it in my wife’s childhood bedroom. Still in the wrapper, just waiting to be made into a righteous mix-tape. It obviously was never used for its intended purpose, so the question remains: would it have been meant to be a breakup mix tape (first song: “Pictures of You” by the Cure) or a new relationship mix-tape (first song: “In Your Eyes” by Peter Gabriel)? All I know is that it would have sounded great seeing as though it would have been made on that sweet silver-front stereo system in the background.

Anyway, here’s what else happened over the weekend:

Now watch as I hit [play/record] and [play] at the exact same time …

1. deathmonkey41 - Jun 27, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I remember the days of hitting Play+Rec as I anxiously waited for the radio station DJ to shut the hell up and not talk over the beginning of the song I wanted to capture on magnetic tape for eternity…or at least until the tape broke from repeatedly listening to it. Ah, the good old days. Of course, I would be trying to tape some thrash or death metal song- not Gabriel or the Cure.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 27, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I was a DJ at a radio station from 1989-1992. Top 40 stuff that teenagers wanted to use for mix tapes. I would get calls all the time begging me to not talk over the intro to a given song because the kid was trying to tape it.

If they were nice, I’d oblige. If not, I’d talk that sucker up until the very moment the lyrics started.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Dude, If you were trying to bag chicks and get any make out time you can’t get around the Cure or the Smiths/Morrisey. Otherwise you had to fall back on the classic Journey, and that was just old and played out when I was making tapes.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Dude, the girls I dug in high school liked The Cure and The Smiths/Morrisey. The girl I ended up marrying 16 years ago did too. It worked out. ;-)

• Jonny 5 - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I used to say “Dude” alot back then too. Duuuude………..

For my self I listened to EVERYTHING.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:41 AM

So, you’re saying that nice Slayer/Death Angel/Cannibal Corpse mix can’t help you rope in the ladies? I beg to differ!

• cur68 - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:23 AM

FYI; Bob Marley works wonders in prairie Canada. I still got my Marley mix tapes, too.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM

And south of our border as well Cur, that was something that was kinda trendy in popularity from what I remember. Always really good though.

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Craig, I was surprised I didn’t see anything on HBT about the fact that Jeff Wilpon apparently wants his team to throw at other players. You’d get to hit on two of your favorite topics: Beanball wars, and the ridiculous Mets front office.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I’d say somebody ought to bean Wilpon but apparently, from his comments, someone already has.

3. cur68 - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM

“What, there are no spare Molinas floating around?”

Ahem: Cur “El Guacho” Molina68 is available.

1. Y. Puig (3178)