Manny Ramirez is the Dodgers’ biggest creditor

Jun 27, 2011, 10:01 AM EDT

Manny Ramirez

Whenever you file for bankruptcy, you have to file a list of your creditors.  The Dodgers filed theirs — see the whole filing here — and it’s a fun list:

Other creditors include: Marquis Grissom — who hasn’t played for the Dodgers forever — and Vin Scully, who is owed $152,778.  I don’t care if the other guys get stiffed, but if Scully doesn’t get paid, I’m takin’ a blowtorch to Frank’s mansion. One of ‘em anyway.

My favorite part, of course, is that Manny Ramirez is the top creditor. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s my understanding that creditors usually have to make legal appearances in bankruptcy proceedings. I can’t wait to see Manny’s legal filings. I assume that they’ll be hand-written, in either crayon or with the burnt end of a pizza crust, on letterhead from hotel on the planet Mars.  And he’ll send it via some sort of royal courier. Or by carrier pigeon.

1. oldpaddy - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Hahahahahahaha! HA!

Howard Sterns penis!!!

• Tim's Neighbor - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I can’t say I could agree more.

2. genericcommenter - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I never knew that Bankruptcy filings came with a “Top 40 List”. Looks like Manny is # 1 on Frankie’s Top 40 Countdown.

3. b7p19 - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Thats awesome. Take the rest of the day off Craig. You’re not going to beat this post. 32 million dollars owed to Andruw Jones and Manny Ramirez?

• hep3 - Jun 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM

That $3.5 million owed to the White Sox may be for Juan Pierre to complete Ned Coletti’s dream outfield of Manny, Pierre and Andruw.

Nice work there, Ned.

4. klbader - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised in this case if there was a committee representing the unsecured creditors, which I assume Manny and the other former players are. As a result, he probably wouldn’t have to file his own documents in this case. At some point, someone will probably file a proof of claim for him in the case, but sadly that won’t be too exciting.

Hopefully this business doesn’t distract Manny from his journey of self-discovery or whatever he is on currently. He’s had a rough life and needs the rest.

• mattjg - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I, for one, would love to see an unsecured creditors’ committee that included Manny, Andruw Jones, Hiroki Kuroda, Rafael Furcal, Jerry Reinsdorf, a 20 year-old minor leaguer and Ted Lily. Don’t even bother hiring professionals, just let them handle the case.

• Kevin S. - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Let’s be serious, Scott Boras is going to represent the unsecured creditors. And Frank McCourt will wish that he was still in his Boston parking lots.

• cur68 - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Sick Boras on Frank? Cool. I love the idea. It’ll be like a paper mache volcano with baking soda (Boras) as the lava. Frank’s the vinegar.

• headbeeguy - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Alex Rodriguez topped the list in the Rangers’ bankruptcy with $25 million in deferred compensation, and he was named to the unsecured creditors committee in the case.

Would be pretty surprised if Manny isn’t on the committee here (or, at least, wasn’t given the opportunity to join).

5. virusgvr - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:25 AM

WOW!!! I didn’t know it was this much. They were just talking about this on The Dan Patrick show. 20 million??????? That’s insane! He was only there a year and a half.

6. dodger88 - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM

At least only 3 former players, 2 of which are retired, made the top ten!

7. lanflfan - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Frank’s list of shame.

8. kiwicricket - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I hate owing a crappy cousin a few bucks, let alone a guy like Manny Ramirez. But $20Million??!! Karma Frankie……Karma.

9. hk62 - Jun 27, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I’m not a lawywr, but wouldn’t defaulting on a player contract (I know bankruptcy protects the Dodgers) void the contract? I realize things are not going to go there, but signing a contract with deferred payments, accepting the services (such as they were) and then not having the money to pay the deferred payments just seems like fraud to me. Don’t know all the legal things behind it, but I thought that the MLB and MLBPA required certain moneys to be maintained against deferred payments. Failure to maintain these moneys has to be some kind of failure that would come into consideration in regard to their filing bankruptcy.

As a non-Dodger baseball fan, I just want McCourt to go away (with nothing!).

• thoran85 - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:18 AM

My guess would be that MLB has an agreement in the cba to guarantee the contracts of players in the event that a team should fail to make payroll or file for bankruptcy. Otherwise, teams would not be able to get credit and players contracts would become significantly more expensive for teams, as the teams would be seen as less sound investments and therefore the players would want greater insurances within the contract that they will actually be getting paid.

If teams were allowed to default on players contracts (or any debt obligations for that matter), it would be a significant determinant to the entire sport. That is most likely why MLB has to sign off on deals like the one Fox and the Dodgers have purposed.

10. pestiesti - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Biggest revelation in the filing? Kazuhisa Ishii’s email address.

11. mattjg - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Bankruptcy lawyers: is there a chance the creditors’ committee tries to recover from McCourt personally? It seems like the proposed Fox deal, for example, could be a fraudulent transfer on the part of the Dodgers since they would be giving up something of substantial value (their TV rights) but receiving less than full value in return since some of the money is going directly to McCourt personally. I know this deal never happened, but I suspect there are similar deals out there; deals in which McCourt transferred Dodgers’ assets and gave the proceeds directly to himself. I’d find it funny if McCourt ended up losing more by filing the bankruptcy than he would have if he had simply sold the team when it became apparent he could no longer run it successfully.

12. francoisduvalle - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Hey Calcutta..if you had 1/1000 the talent Manny had during his career you would be able to bang more than they keyboard and your dick!

• Utley's Hair - Jun 27, 2011 at 2:52 PM

It appears that is precisely what you used to write that comment.

13. iranuke - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I’d like to point out that Manny’s agent is Scott Boras. I would guess that Mr. Boras will represent Manny in bankruptcy court.

• jwbiii - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I’ll bet that it won’t be Boras, but that he has a good bankrupcty attorney on speed dial. This isn’t his first rodeo.

14. writtenbyross - Jun 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Their 40th largest creditor is owed more than 70k… Wow…

15. Brian Murphy - Jun 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Obviously, this is awesome. The cherry on top of the larger cherry on top of this sundae is the misspelling of Chad Billingsley’s name — a missing “e.”
    And the mention of Casey Blake’s actual first name, William.
    And I think the world would be a better place if Rod Barajas went by Rodrigo.

16. aceshigh11 - Jun 27, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Manny’s final F-YOU to baseball.

I’m getting a bigger kick out of this than I should.

17. foreverchipper10 - Jun 27, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Thank you for putting Marquis Grissom’s name back in my life.

18. TomTom - Jun 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM

“I can’t wait to see Manny’s legal filings. I assume that they’ll be hand-written, in either crayon or with the burnt end of a pizza crust, on letterhead from hotel on the planet Mars. And he’ll send it via some sort of royal courier. Or by carrier pigeon.”

Bravo sir. Bravo.

19. nathanontheshore - Jun 27, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I think if Scott Boras is still getting a bite on Manny’s deferred payments, he’ll have a pit bull of an attorney representing him. As an unsecured creditor Manny comes last in line. Wouldn’t it be nice if he comes out with nothing? Could he sue Bud Selig as Commissioner for negligence for failing to properly police Frank McCourt? That would be so cool.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3697)