Jun 27, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Marlon Byrd has been cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment five weeks after suffering facial fractures from a beaning and the Cubs center fielder showed Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune the special protective helmet he’ll wear.
As for how long he’ll wear it, Byrd told Sullivan that he’s not sure yet:
I might try one game without it, but it’s something I can wear all year long. Maybe it’ll take that thought process out of my mind, when I’m on the infield, trying to steal a base or breaking up a double play.
Byrd will play his first rehab game at Triple-A tonight and barring a setback is slated to come off the disabled list on July 4.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)