Jun 27, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Marlon Byrd has been cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment five weeks after suffering facial fractures from a beaning and the Cubs center fielder showed Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune the special protective helmet he’ll wear.
As for how long he’ll wear it, Byrd told Sullivan that he’s not sure yet:
I might try one game without it, but it’s something I can wear all year long. Maybe it’ll take that thought process out of my mind, when I’m on the infield, trying to steal a base or breaking up a double play.
Byrd will play his first rehab game at Triple-A tonight and barring a setback is slated to come off the disabled list on July 4.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)