Mike Quade on Starlin Castro’s lack of hustle: “It better not happen again”

Jun 27, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

Mike Quade, Starlin Castro

I’m sure Jack McKeon would have benched Starlin Castro for the rest of the decade by now, but Cubs manager Mike Quade has taken a less extreme approach to handling the 21-year-old shortstop’s lack of hustle.

In the first inning of yesterday’s game Castro failed to run after a ground ball that went past him and into the outfield, forcing center fielder Reed Johnson to make the play, and after giving him an immediate scolding Quade later said:

It better not happen again, and he knows it. He just gets frustrated. He wants to make the play. He doesn’t make the play, and then just has a letdown. I’m sorry he didn’t make the play either. It would’ve been a great play. But stay after the play and stay involved. Then later on he dove for a ball and Reed was right there. That bothered me some.

Quade went on to praise Castro’s overall performance this season and promoted his All-Star candidacy. A manager freaking out about a 21-year-old’s lack of hustle would create more headlines and garner approval from a certain segment of the fan base, but ultimately I think Quade is taking the right approach. Castro is an incredible young talent having an excellent season and if the manager is confident his lack of hustle won’t turn into a bigger problems there’s no reason to blow things out of proportion for now.

1. normb11 - Jun 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Be nice if he didn’t single out Castro while ignoring Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 27, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Are those two allowed to hustle? I thought it was an obviously losing campaign to keep them off the DL or something.

2. hermitfool - Jun 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM

At Friday night’s game in Kansas City Soriano jogged, although that doesn’t quite describe how nonchalantly he moved, towards a lazy foul popup that landed six feet away from him, at a time when the outcome of the game was still in doubt. I’m an old man who’s watched baseball all my life and I’ve never seen anything quite like it.

What would Dallas Green do with a Soriano? Whitey Herzog? Immediate evisceration at second base?

I realize the Cubs owe this guy a ton of money and he still hits an occasional home run, but this sort of behavior has to be a cancer on the team, particularly the pitching staff.

3. Old Gator - Jun 27, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Not quite. The Curmudgeonly Undead would have benched him for one game and then forgotten to put him back in the lineup.

4. willcoop - Jun 27, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Soriano, Ramirez and maybe a couple of others are there for the loot. They have to get a manager in there that has been there and done that with these lazy players. Bob Brenly would not have put up with this crap that I’m seeing from this team. This team is not that good that they can’t afford not to hustle at all times. Ramirez, Soriano, Byrd, DeWitt, Baker, Zambrano, Wood, Pena, Soto, Fukodome, Davis and the base coaches and pitching coach. That’s a full lineup…..for another team. If they off load these guys they save a ton of money and the Wrigley masses will still bitch and complain but the young guns will be there learning how to play. If I have to watch Soriano jog after one more ball or Ramirez go ole at third base, I’m going to destroy my tv.

5. sosascork - Jun 27, 2011 at 6:37 PM

No Worries, It’s Just “Starling being Starling”

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet