TMZ releases brief pre-beating Bryan Stow video

Jun 27, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT

Image of Dodger Stadium beating victim Stow is shown on scoreboard before MLB National League baseball game between San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals in San Francisco, California Reuters

TMZ has obtained a 15-second clip of Bryan Stow in Dodger Stadium before the beating that left the Giants fan in a coma.

In the video, Stow, wearing a Giants jersey, is having some sort of dispute with a Dodgers fan.  The fan in question is not Giovanni Ramirez, the suspect from the beating currently behind bars on a probation violation.  Ramirez has said he wasn’t at Dodger Stadium at the time of the attack.

To see the clip, head over to TMZ here.

According to the report, the LAPD is looking to obtain the original video as part of its investigation.

Stow, 42, is believed to have been beaten by two men in the parking lot after the April 5 game between the Giants and Dodgers.  He remains in a medically induced coma nearly three months later.

1. SmackSaw - Jun 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Let me preface by saying that what happened to Stow shouldn’t ever happen to anybody. But, dude was sitting in the right field pavilion of Dodger Stadium. The crowd there are not the, to be kind, most well adjusted members of society. The Dodger fan that was in his face was, I’m going to guess, warning him to keep his mouth shut. It doesn’t make it right, but he was dealing with people that are a few points below rational.

I hope he is able to attend Giants games soon. All my best to him and his family.

• nixonotis - Jun 27, 2011 at 7:38 PM

What is your point here? You sound like you’re blaming Bryan Stow for being beaten into a coma. If that’s the case, maybe you’re not the “most well adjusted member of society.”

• SmackSaw - Jun 27, 2011 at 8:04 PM

My point is don’t go popping off and draw attention to yourself in a bad neighborhood. Wearing Giants gear in Dodger Stadium cheap seats is a little like wearing a Kansas City Chief jersey to a Raider game. The odds aren’t going to be in one’s favor.

• nixonotis - Jun 27, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Wow, you’re a shitty person.

• paperlions - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Yes, it was a horrible thing to happen. No, Stow was not to blame in the least. But neither of those facts have anything to do with a Dodger fan pointing out that if it was going to happen, the situation in which Stow found himself is the most likely one for Dodger Stadium…..and recognizing that fact doesn’t make someone a shitty person.

Of course, within the context of this story, any deviation from heartfelt wishes from the family is generally growled at by those that can’t be bothered to evaluate the situation beyond the tragic end of the events.

• tomemos - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Paperlions, of course we growl, but it’s not because we “can’t be bothered.” It’s because we don’t accept that this is just how it is. I mean, what is the implication of what you and SmackSaw are saying, other than, “Don’t wear the visiting team’s gear at Dodger Stadium; just accept it”? At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, it’s the same reason women bristle when they’re told to watch how they dress so they don’t get raped. If we just accept that this is how things are, how are things supposed to change?

• jxegh - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Bad neighborhood? Tens of thousands of fans wear the visiting teams jerseys to games everyday. You are an idiot SmackSaw.

2. SmackSaw - Jun 27, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Do you remember when Dodgers Stadium was a fun and safe place to bring the family? No, me neither.

3. phillysoulfan - Jun 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM

As much as it pains me to say this but Smacksaw is right. That does not mean I’m blaming Stow for what happened to him. I detest what happened. Simple truth is that there are crazy people out there, especially at sporting venues.

4. Marty - Jun 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Like it or not, you are deflecting some blame on to Bryan Stow. It’s reasonable to expect to be heckled, to have beer thrown at you, to get a heap of s-talk on your way to the can.

But one should be able attend an opponent’s field without fear of violent physical contact. That is a reasonable expectation that both the Dodgers and MLB should enforce.

Regardless, anybody who thinks Stow should have recognized the threat of being beat into a coma before attending the game is insane, and in part enabling those who beat him by excusing this savage act as a trivial part of life.

• bleedgreen - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Exactly. I have worn my full Philly Regalia to Mets/Phils games and Eagles/Giants games in NYC and quite honestly, I’ve NEVER even had someone so much as heckle me. I usually run into just as many other Philly fans as I do home team fans.

• chefofthepast - Jun 30, 2011 at 3:33 PM

First off, whoever beat him up belongs in prison, no room for discussion. I agree that he could not or should not have expected to be the victim of an aggravated assault. But wouldn’t it be easier to just not wear all the regalia if it makes you a target for the jack asses to pelt you with insults and/or beer? Maybe I’m just showing my age.

5. marshmallowsnake - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM

People are stupid…especially those in the right field pavilion at Dodger Stadium.

Seriously, when are we going to learn that it is a game…and the players could care less about the rivalry, as long as they keep getting paid (ok, most players)?

Orioles turn AL East on its head