Wade Boggs: TV star

Jun 27, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

Wade Boggs Devil Rays

Well, only if you consider the role of “dimwitted sheriff’s deputy” as a star turn:

Wade Boggs was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005 for racking up 3,010 hits over 18 seasons, primarily as a third baseman on the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees.

But Boggs’ legendary on-field performance pales in comparison to the acting chops he displays in “Swamp Shark,” the latest outlandish Syfy original movie arriving Saturday at 9 p.m. ET. As dimwitted lawman Deputy Stanley, he helps an evil sheriff (played by Robert Davi) cover up the accidental unleashing of a gigantic man-eating shark into the Louisiana bayou.

Alas that was last Saturday, the 25th.  Here’s hoping we get a rerun.

And yes, before you ask what you’re going to ask: it is a slow news day. At least the non-Dodgers stuff.

1. shaggylocks - Jun 27, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Slow news day? You should check out the New Yorker profile on Super Sam Fuld that just came out today. I haven’t read it yet, but I’m sure there must be some nugget of awesomeness in the story.

2. droogleeddie - Jun 27, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I, for one, thought his performance as “Wade Boggs” on Cheers was Emmy-Worthy, to say the least…

• aleskel - Jun 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM

PITT THE ELDER!

• pmcenroe - Jun 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM

LORD PALMERSTON!

• Brian Murphy - Jun 27, 2011 at 3:28 PM

LORD PALMERSTON!

Damn, I actually saw this on the channel guide and passed over it without a thought because I knew how awful it was going to be. But if I had known Wade Boggs was involved, I surely would have given it 15 — NAY! — 20 seconds of my time.

3. mcs7584 - Jun 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Damn, those were some god-awful Devil Rays uniforms, which is probably what he’s thinking in that photo. “Please, God, don’t let any of my friends see me in this getup or any of those outlandish Syfy original movies, for that matter.”

4. Jack Marshall - Jun 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Oh my God. I watched that movie (I wanted to see how bad Original Buffy Kristy Swanson looked, since last time I had seen her she was playing pre-TrimSpa Anna Nicole Smith—verdict: not so bad, actually—Celebrity Fit Club worked!) and I kept thinking, “Boy, that actor looks and sounds a lot like Wade Boggs…naaaaaaa! Couldn’t be.” I didn’t even wait for the credits; once the Swamp Shark ate Robert Davi, I decided to re-arrange my sock drawer.

Wade was OK…a lot better than Tiffany, for example, in her SyFy excursions. But why wasn’t Margo in the movie? Swamp Shark would have loved her!

5. uuddlrlrbastart - Jun 27, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Holy crap. Robert Davi is still alive?

6. schmedley69 - Jun 27, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Boggs did a great job of acting in those Bosley Hair Clinic infomercials. I’m not surprised that he landed a bigger gig.

7. deathmonkey41 - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Is a swamp shark different from a landshark? If so, how? Should I ever open the door for a swamp shark?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3811)