Frank McCourt will be around for at least another month

Jun 28, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT

Frank McCourt

The initial hearing in the Dodgers’ bankruptcy took place this afternoon. Just adjourned in fact. The biggest takeaway: Major League Baseball has, for the time being at least, agreed to let Frank McCourt run the team with this interim financing deal.

That agreement seems like the only option at the moment, inasmuch as the judge would not rule on Major League Baseball’s alternative financing plan today, probably because he just saw the thing for the first time this morning. ┬áThere will be a hearing on July 20th, however, in which MLB’s financing plan is scrutinized.

So for now, nothing changes in Dodgers land. Frank controls the team — though MLB still has oversight via the controller it installed a couple of months ago — and all operations are continuing to run up Frank McCourt’s debt.

Dig in folks. This is gonna be protracted.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I just hope all this nonsense has little or no negative impact on the good fans and employees of the Dodgers. McCourt is disgusting.

• crpls - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Haha. Good fans. Dodgers. LOLOLOLOLOL.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Nice fresh new pic too. How nice.

3. whitneymuse - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Hey Frank, you better win the NL West for starters…yeah right.

4. kopy - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM

My fondness for sports is seriously in jeopardy because of all the courtroom action in NFL, NBA, and MLB. I can’t handle many more headaches from bureaucratic backfires before I find other uses of my time and money. I could be building a kickass model train set, exercising more on my own, or learning how to cook.

• Old Gator - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM

What scale? I was an N scale freak myself. Gotta tell you about the model railroading superstore in Tokyo. You would not believe that place.

• kopy - Jun 28, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Probably H0. That’s what my dad and his dad used, so I’m sure I could salvage all kinds of antique (read: old and free) parts that would be cool. Although a smaller scale like N would be nice since would take up less room, and I’m not sure if H0 is the easiest to find anymore.

5. dogsweat1 - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

The return of the Brooklyn Dodgers is upon us!!!!!

6. hep3 - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I think of Bud Selig that started this by giving McCourt the team and Frank McCourt who is going to continue for far too long and then I think of the immortal words of one of the underrated pundits of all time, Forrest Gump:

“Stupid is as Stupid does.”

7. raw101 - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM

What a disgrace he is. He doesnt care for the team only himself.

• hep3 - Jun 28, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Didn’t someone say that about Manny?

8. lostsok - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM

As soon as Selig bum-rushes Frank McCourt into baseball memory…Selig should be fired for ever letting the bum in the front door in the first place (and for his head-in-the-sand reaction for a decade to steroids, but that’s a whole ‘nother mess). This entire mess is, essentially, Selig’s fault. There were numerous reports of McCourt’s lack of money and/or character as he was buying the team. That he was STILL an upgrade over Fox’s baseball, rather than financial, management is beside the point.

Selig should have vetted McCourt correctly or waited for a more appropriate buyer.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2495)