Jun 28, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Cleveland has fallen out of first place by going 9-16 this month and now the Indians will likely be without Shin-Soo Choo until September.
Choo suffered a broken left thumb when he was hit by a Jonathan Sanchez pitch Friday and underwent surgery today, with Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reporting that the right fielder is expected to miss 8-10 weeks.
Eight weeks from now would have him returning in late August, so any kind of setback or slower than expected recovery could lead to Choo missing the remainder of the season. And of course even if he returns at the optimistic end of that timetable there’s no guarantee Choo will fare well with a surgically repaired thumb, particularly since he was hitting just .244 with a .687 OPS in 72 games before the plunking.
Choo hit .302 with an .897 OPS in his first three seasons in Cleveland, averaging 24 homers and 20 steals per 160 games along with standout defense in right field to stake his claim as one of baseball’s most underrated all-around players. He’ll likely be replaced by a platoon of Travis Buck and Austin Kearns.
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 0
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)