Jun 28, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
Despite the fact that I have written and will continue to write a lot about the Dodgers’ bankruptcy — and that I will do it with no small amount of enthusiasm — has everything to do with it being interesting to me and being more in my wheelhouse than, say, the amateur draft or pitching mechanics. Don’t mistake such enthusiasm for enjoyment, however. Yes, I’ll experience a few happy feelings when Frank McCourt is eventually banished from baseball, but that will be fleeting. As a story, this is all bad news, and I wish it weren’t happening.
One other possible silver lining has been eliminated, however. Yesterday someone — I don’t know who, so if you were the first, mazel tov — realized that one could make a customized jersey on the Dodgers’ website with the last name on the back being “Chapter” and the number being “11,” celebrating the bankruptcy. High comedy? Nah, but as I’ve always found, gallows humor has a low hurdle to leap in order to get some yuks. I liked it.
But as Busted Coverage notes this morning, sadly, Major League Baseball has banned that particular jersey configuration, labeling it “inappropriate, derogatory, or profane,” and prohibiting orders.
If only MLB was so discerning of that which was inappropriate when it approved Frank McCourt’s wildly irresponsible bid to purchase the Dodgers …
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 22
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)