Jun 28, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
Despite the fact that I have written and will continue to write a lot about the Dodgers’ bankruptcy — and that I will do it with no small amount of enthusiasm — has everything to do with it being interesting to me and being more in my wheelhouse than, say, the amateur draft or pitching mechanics. Don’t mistake such enthusiasm for enjoyment, however. Yes, I’ll experience a few happy feelings when Frank McCourt is eventually banished from baseball, but that will be fleeting. As a story, this is all bad news, and I wish it weren’t happening.
One other possible silver lining has been eliminated, however. Yesterday someone — I don’t know who, so if you were the first, mazel tov — realized that one could make a customized jersey on the Dodgers’ website with the last name on the back being “Chapter” and the number being “11,” celebrating the bankruptcy. High comedy? Nah, but as I’ve always found, gallows humor has a low hurdle to leap in order to get some yuks. I liked it.
But as Busted Coverage notes this morning, sadly, Major League Baseball has banned that particular jersey configuration, labeling it “inappropriate, derogatory, or profane,” and prohibiting orders.
If only MLB was so discerning of that which was inappropriate when it approved Frank McCourt’s wildly irresponsible bid to purchase the Dodgers …
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)