Jun 28, 2011, 9:13 AM EST
Despite the fact that I have written and will continue to write a lot about the Dodgers’ bankruptcy — and that I will do it with no small amount of enthusiasm — has everything to do with it being interesting to me and being more in my wheelhouse than, say, the amateur draft or pitching mechanics. Don’t mistake such enthusiasm for enjoyment, however. Yes, I’ll experience a few happy feelings when Frank McCourt is eventually banished from baseball, but that will be fleeting. As a story, this is all bad news, and I wish it weren’t happening.
One other possible silver lining has been eliminated, however. Yesterday someone — I don’t know who, so if you were the first, mazel tov — realized that one could make a customized jersey on the Dodgers’ website with the last name on the back being “Chapter” and the number being “11,” celebrating the bankruptcy. High comedy? Nah, but as I’ve always found, gallows humor has a low hurdle to leap in order to get some yuks. I liked it.
But as Busted Coverage notes this morning, sadly, Major League Baseball has banned that particular jersey configuration, labeling it “inappropriate, derogatory, or profane,” and prohibiting orders.
If only MLB was so discerning of that which was inappropriate when it approved Frank McCourt’s wildly irresponsible bid to purchase the Dodgers …
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)