Jun 28, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT
Despite the fact that I have written and will continue to write a lot about the Dodgers’ bankruptcy — and that I will do it with no small amount of enthusiasm — has everything to do with it being interesting to me and being more in my wheelhouse than, say, the amateur draft or pitching mechanics. Don’t mistake such enthusiasm for enjoyment, however. Yes, I’ll experience a few happy feelings when Frank McCourt is eventually banished from baseball, but that will be fleeting. As a story, this is all bad news, and I wish it weren’t happening.
One other possible silver lining has been eliminated, however. Yesterday someone — I don’t know who, so if you were the first, mazel tov — realized that one could make a customized jersey on the Dodgers’ website with the last name on the back being “Chapter” and the number being “11,” celebrating the bankruptcy. High comedy? Nah, but as I’ve always found, gallows humor has a low hurdle to leap in order to get some yuks. I liked it.
But as Busted Coverage notes this morning, sadly, Major League Baseball has banned that particular jersey configuration, labeling it “inappropriate, derogatory, or profane,” and prohibiting orders.
If only MLB was so discerning of that which was inappropriate when it approved Frank McCourt’s wildly irresponsible bid to purchase the Dodgers …
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 47
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)