Jun 28, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
As mentioned this morning, the first issue the bankruptcy court is going to have to decide is whether or not to allow Frank McCourt to finance Dodgers’ operations with that $150 million loan he obtained.
Also as mentioned, Major League Baseball has come up with an alternative financing arrangement, which Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times just reported: Financing at 7% interest as opposed to the 10% McCourt obtained, plus no $4.5 million fee or any other fees on top of it, like the fees wit which McCourt would saddle the team.
Bankruptcy experts, help us out: are these financing arrangements usually judged purely on the dollars (i.e. what costs the debtor the least), or is there a broader analysis in play, encompassing the source of the financing as well? Because if it’s purely dollars, MLB would have to have it beat, one would assume. If McCourt gets a thumb on the scale in his favor as the current owner, however, it may not matter.
The point to all of this, of course, is that if the court decides that MLB’s financing is going to rule the day, it will likely mean that McCourt’s days of calling the shots are over or soon will be.
Updates as warranted.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)