Jun 28, 2011, 11:34 AM EST
As mentioned this morning, the first issue the bankruptcy court is going to have to decide is whether or not to allow Frank McCourt to finance Dodgers’ operations with that $150 million loan he obtained.
Also as mentioned, Major League Baseball has come up with an alternative financing arrangement, which Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times just reported: Financing at 7% interest as opposed to the 10% McCourt obtained, plus no $4.5 million fee or any other fees on top of it, like the fees wit which McCourt would saddle the team.
Bankruptcy experts, help us out: are these financing arrangements usually judged purely on the dollars (i.e. what costs the debtor the least), or is there a broader analysis in play, encompassing the source of the financing as well? Because if it’s purely dollars, MLB would have to have it beat, one would assume. If McCourt gets a thumb on the scale in his favor as the current owner, however, it may not matter.
The point to all of this, of course, is that if the court decides that MLB’s financing is going to rule the day, it will likely mean that McCourt’s days of calling the shots are over or soon will be.
Updates as warranted.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)