Jun 28, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
Today is only Day Two in what will likely be a lengthy set of legal proceedings for the Dodgers, but it’s a pretty big day. Why? It’s the day of the initial hearing in the bankruptcy case and it’s the day on which the judge could very well decide if Frank McCourt is going to be able to continue to run the Dodgers while they’re in Chapter 11.
As we mentioned yesterday, Frank McCourt has secured a loan — a terrible one, but a loan nonetheless — of $150 million to keep the team operating during bankruptcy. That has to be approved by the judge, however, and according to multiple reports out there, Major League Baseball is expected to offer an alternative financing solution. One that, one presumes, will not cost the Dodgers 10% a year in interest with a $4.5 million nuisance fee like McCourt’s plan. At the same time, baseball’s plan will likely come with the proviso that McCourt be kicked to the curb and the team be sold to the highest bidder.
The devil is in the details and we don’t know any details to MLB’s alternative financing plan so, no, it’s not certain that the judge would prefer baseball’s plan to McCourt’s. But he could. If he does, it will likely mark the beginning of the end for him. If he lets Frank take his $150 million loan, it will likely be a much longer road ahead. At least for those of us who want to see Frank McCourt removed from power.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)