Jun 28, 2011, 5:13 PM EST
Major League Baseball just announced that Donavan Tate, who was the third overall pick in the 2009 amateur draft, has been suspended for a drug of abuse (meaning not traditional PEDs). To get a 50-game suspension as Tate just received, you had to have tested positive twice. Tate has already sat out for 25 games, however, while going through a drug treatment program, and the 50 game suspension will be retroactive to that.
On the year the 20-year-old outfielder is hitting .294/.368/.471 for low-A Eugene and high-A Ft. Wayne.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)