Jun 28, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
Major League Baseball just announced that Donavan Tate, who was the third overall pick in the 2009 amateur draft, has been suspended for a drug of abuse (meaning not traditional PEDs). To get a 50-game suspension as Tate just received, you had to have tested positive twice. Tate has already sat out for 25 games, however, while going through a drug treatment program, and the 50 game suspension will be retroactive to that.
On the year the 20-year-old outfielder is hitting .294/.368/.471 for low-A Eugene and high-A Ft. Wayne.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 76
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)