Jun 28, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
Major League Baseball just announced that Donavan Tate, who was the third overall pick in the 2009 amateur draft, has been suspended for a drug of abuse (meaning not traditional PEDs). To get a 50-game suspension as Tate just received, you had to have tested positive twice. Tate has already sat out for 25 games, however, while going through a drug treatment program, and the 50 game suspension will be retroactive to that.
On the year the 20-year-old outfielder is hitting .294/.368/.471 for low-A Eugene and high-A Ft. Wayne.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)