Jun 28, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
Tabata avoided a serious injury, with the official diagnosis being merely a strain, but there’s pretty good chance the 22-year-old outfielder will need more than the minimum 15 days on the sidelines.
Alex Presley figures to see most of the action in left field with Tabata out and is deserving of an extended opportunity at age 25 after following up last season’s .320 batting average between Double-A and Triple-A with a .336 mark at Triple-A this year.
Prior to the injury Tabata had taken a small step backward from his strong rookie season, hitting .265 with three homers, 14 steals, and a .705 OPS in 71 games.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 9
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 9
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)