Jun 28, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
Tabata avoided a serious injury, with the official diagnosis being merely a strain, but there’s pretty good chance the 22-year-old outfielder will need more than the minimum 15 days on the sidelines.
Alex Presley figures to see most of the action in left field with Tabata out and is deserving of an extended opportunity at age 25 after following up last season’s .320 batting average between Double-A and Triple-A with a .336 mark at Triple-A this year.
Prior to the injury Tabata had taken a small step backward from his strong rookie season, hitting .265 with three homers, 14 steals, and a .705 OPS in 71 games.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 12
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 4
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 49
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)