Jun 28, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
Tabata avoided a serious injury, with the official diagnosis being merely a strain, but there’s pretty good chance the 22-year-old outfielder will need more than the minimum 15 days on the sidelines.
Alex Presley figures to see most of the action in left field with Tabata out and is deserving of an extended opportunity at age 25 after following up last season’s .320 batting average between Double-A and Triple-A with a .336 mark at Triple-A this year.
Prior to the injury Tabata had taken a small step backward from his strong rookie season, hitting .265 with three homers, 14 steals, and a .705 OPS in 71 games.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 44
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)