Jun 28, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
Tabata avoided a serious injury, with the official diagnosis being merely a strain, but there’s pretty good chance the 22-year-old outfielder will need more than the minimum 15 days on the sidelines.
Alex Presley figures to see most of the action in left field with Tabata out and is deserving of an extended opportunity at age 25 after following up last season’s .320 batting average between Double-A and Triple-A with a .336 mark at Triple-A this year.
Prior to the injury Tabata had taken a small step backward from his strong rookie season, hitting .265 with three homers, 14 steals, and a .705 OPS in 71 games.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 33
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)