Jun 28, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Rangers setup man Darren O’Day is on the verge of coming off the disabled list two months after undergoing surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip.
O’Day isn’t exactly a household name, but his returning healthy would be a huge boost to the Rangers’ bullpen. In parts of three seasons in Texas the side-arming right-hander has a 2.02 ERA and 104/33 K/BB ratio in 125 innings.
He’s scheduled to pitch tonight at Triple-A in what could be his final minor-league rehab appearance before coming off the DL.
Texas ranked second in bullpen ERA last season at 3.38, but Rangers relievers have combined for a 4.53 ERA this season that ranks second-worst in the league ahead of only the Twins.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)