Jun 28, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Rangers setup man Darren O’Day is on the verge of coming off the disabled list two months after undergoing surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip.
O’Day isn’t exactly a household name, but his returning healthy would be a huge boost to the Rangers’ bullpen. In parts of three seasons in Texas the side-arming right-hander has a 2.02 ERA and 104/33 K/BB ratio in 125 innings.
He’s scheduled to pitch tonight at Triple-A in what could be his final minor-league rehab appearance before coming off the DL.
Texas ranked second in bullpen ERA last season at 3.38, but Rangers relievers have combined for a 4.53 ERA this season that ranks second-worst in the league ahead of only the Twins.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)