Jun 28, 2011, 6:19 PM EDT
Wednesday’s the day, according to the Boston Herald’s John Tomase.
Tomase didn’t say which outfield position Gonzalez would play. Left field would make more sense, given the Phillies’ reliance on left-handed hitters.
There’s really no chance the Red Sox would be trying this if their schedule didn’t have them playing nine straight games in NL parks. A week and a half is just too long to have to limit Ortiz to pinch-hitting appearances. The alignment switch Wednesday is as much about keeping him sharp as it is about trying to win a baseball game.
Because it’s pretty hard to imagine that the Red Sox are really better off taking such big defensive downgrades at two positions in order to make room for Ortiz.
Anyway, it should be entertaining. Just in case there wasn’t already enough reason to watch what are arguably the two best teams in baseball face off.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)