Jun 28, 2011, 6:19 PM EST
Wednesday’s the day, according to the Boston Herald’s John Tomase.
Tomase didn’t say which outfield position Gonzalez would play. Left field would make more sense, given the Phillies’ reliance on left-handed hitters.
There’s really no chance the Red Sox would be trying this if their schedule didn’t have them playing nine straight games in NL parks. A week and a half is just too long to have to limit Ortiz to pinch-hitting appearances. The alignment switch Wednesday is as much about keeping him sharp as it is about trying to win a baseball game.
Because it’s pretty hard to imagine that the Red Sox are really better off taking such big defensive downgrades at two positions in order to make room for Ortiz.
Anyway, it should be entertaining. Just in case there wasn’t already enough reason to watch what are arguably the two best teams in baseball face off.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)