Jun 28, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
You know, if Roger Clemens had just shut up, or at least offered a general “the Mitchell Report was wrong” kind of comment three and a half years ago, he’d be off golfing right now without a care in the world.
But he didn’t. He went on a PR blitz and then sued Brian McNamee for defamation. That suit got tossed, Brian McNamee sued him back, and then they both got called before Congress, who realized that they could make some hay out of all of the grass Clemens was providing. And that’s why he’s being prosecuted for perjury now.
And his last chance to get anything positive out of that for himself — that suit against McNamee — is now gone, as the U.S. Supreme Court ruled this morning that it is unwilling to overturn the lower court’s ruling tossing Clemens’ suit.
See you at your criminal trial, Rocket!
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 23
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 30
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)