The best ceremonial first pitch ever

Jun 28, 2011, 9:40 AM EST

first pitch.bmp

How often do you see some celebrity or politician throw out the first pitch at a ballgame, only to have the thing loop in there weakly or, as is often the case, not even make it to home plate?  And that’s when all they’re doing is trying to throw the ball?

We boo them, of course. And after seeing the first pitch from the Padres-Royals game last night, they should be booed more loudly.

I mean really, there are pitchers in baseball who can’t hit the zone like that, and they’re not even doing crazy back flips.

1. shaggylocks - Jun 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I don’t know, I think that might have been a balk.

• mckludge - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Yeah, I think his foot came off the rubber.

2. koufaxmitzvah - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Dang Frenchies.

3. icanspeel - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM

That was rather impressive, not to mention it was a strike or close to one at least

4. phillysoulfan - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM

What would have made that really impressive is if he threw it in mid flip.

• Alex K - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Because the flip wasn’t impressive enough.

• phillysoulfan - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Did I say the flip wasn’t impressive? Did I say anything negative about the flip at all?

• Alex K - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM

You implied that it wasn’t impressive.

• Tim's Neighbor - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Alex, you think ice cream is really impressive. No one cares about your opinion.

It’d be really impressive if he ate a delicious piece, and superior to ice cream and pie, of cake.

• Alex K - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Tim’s Neighbor, ice cream is the greatest of all desserts. Cake is a distant second. The truth will set you free!

5. Phillies Homer - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM

What stinks is that this was done in front of a Padres/Royals crowd!

Imagine the response he would have received if he would have done this in front of a crowd at a Red Sox/Yankees/Phillies/Cardinals or other games where fans fill the seats!

Impressive.

6. tolbuck - Jun 28, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I was more impressed with the flip once I realized it was off the pitcher’s mound and not a flat surface. And I think this makes Craig’s point about booing bad first pitches even stronger.

7. Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Encino man is such a badass… I figured he’d have Stoney with him too. I guess Stoney’s busy making big time movies or something now…. buuuuudy.

8. foreverchipper10 - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I saw this last night on sportscenter and nearly $hit my pants.It is amazing.

9. APBA Guy - Jun 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I saw this on the local news this morning, right after the San Diego Wildlife Park video of “cheetah cam” with a lipstick camera mounted on a cheetah while running full throttle chasing a fake bunny rabbit. Not sure which was more impressive, but a big day for San Diego video clips yesterday.

10. dexterismyhero - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Would have been better if he threw it mid flip. Still pretty neat looking. And John Wall throws the ball like a girl, but he can throw a 50′ bounce pass with a basketball. Go figure.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5079)