The Red Sox-Phillies series is tough for a contrarian

Jun 28, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT

Umpire Fletcher looks on as Red Sox designated hitter Ortiz talks with Phillies first baseman Howard after getting a base on balls during a MLB spring training game in Clearwater

I’m predisposed to being a contrarian. I’m no crazy iconoclast or uber-non-conformist — I drive an Accord for crying out loud — but that is the general impulse. If you tell me something is the best ever, I’m going to look for flaws.  If you hype something up, I’m going do my best to explain why everyone should calm down.  I honestly believe that taking such an approach aids in critical thinking, but I’m also totally prepared to admit that a good amount of the time it only makes you sound like a mild ass. Oh well. Can’t change what I am.

So you can understand my frustration at the Red Sox-Phillies series that begins in Citizens Bank Park this evening.  The two teams who were almost everyone’s pick to win the pennant. Big hitting against big pitching! A possible World Series preview!  The source of the frustration?  I can’t really argue with any of that.

I picked them to meet in the World Series before the season began, and if you put a gun to my head right now I’d say they’re still the favorites.  The Red Sox’ recent mini-slump notwithstanding, they are big hitting, leading the majors in scoring.  The Phillies have had a few bumps of their own — Ryan Madson and Roy Oswalt are out — but they still have the best ERA in baseball and it wouldn’t be easy to argue against their staff as a whole being the best in the game.

It is what everyone is saying it is.  There isn’t much room for being a contrarian here.  What an absolute drag!

124 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I have had a boner for a week. It’s a shame this series will last only 3 nights.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM

whoops, Thursday is a day game.

• dexterismyhero - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM

You could have left off the first part Jonny5. Just saying.

But it will be fun to watch.

Go Phillies……

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

when you say “it will be fun to watch.” are you referring to the former or the latter? Just saying :)

• bleedgreen - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I kind of agree… except that the Phils NEVER play the Red Sox well. I even said that in 2008 when the Sox, Yankees and Rays were in the playoffs. I wanted the Rays to win because I thought the Phillies could beat the Rays, but not the Yankees or the Red Sox.

• bjavie - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

The Yankees missed the Playoffs in 2008 – there is only be one wild card.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM

The Yankers had other things to do in October of 2008, but I see your point and agree.

• bleedgreen - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM

D’oh, you’re right. It was a few years back. I dunno why I thought the Yanks were in the playoffs…

• aceshigh11 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM

And why have you not yet seen your doctor about that week-long priapism?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Anything more than 4 hours and you are risking permanent damage, so you should probably call someone. Your doctor, or at least a trashy ex-girlfriend.

• kiwicricket - Jun 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

That Sir, is very funny.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I carry around a jug of ice. I’m hoping this will end no later than Thursday. I also hope the Phills don’t sweep, Mrs. Jonny 5 does as well. Ex girlfriend you say??? hmm?? Well, let’s see what the Mrs. says. At this point she may just go for it.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM

You’re on fire today, J5. On fire like a raging case of the clap. How’s that for puntastic simile?

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Clap = Cake Applause = Pie

Pie rocks!!! Just ask the 1972 Mt hope WV home ec teacher. http://t.co/miRwVsD

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:59 PM

That is called Priapism…you should probably have that checked out. Anything over 4 hours is dangerous.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Well so far I’ve knocked things off co-workers desks, almost had a swingline hit me in the toe, besides that I feel great!

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Hopefully it will be a better outcome than last year.

2. yankeesfanlen - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Hey, I get two birds with one stone here:

Obviously, the Phillies are the superior team and will sweep! Now, off to get the Brewers on a three game (er..day) bender.

3. halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I’m the biggest contrarian that ever lived (especially when I said when I would no longer comment), but not when it comes to the Phillies. Sounds like jealousy to me, Craig.

Everyone here in Philly is ready for the Phils to put down the hammer on the BoSox these next few days. The two best teams in baseball has the Bicepts in overload. Cliff Lee vs. Josh Beckett!!!

Let the Phillies smackdown of stinkin’ Boston begin tonight, baby!!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Welcome back ‘Bicepts. I was told that you left the message board.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Yeah, I needed a few days to take a break, as well as a 5 day vacation down at Sea Isle. Partied much. Can’t remember much.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Were you hanging with Carter and Richie?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Jonny,

I did see Jeff Carter down there at the Dead Dog Saloon. He had his face down at the bar crying like a little b*tch. I told him he would fit perfect in Columbus because they have no heart, just like him.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:33 PM

If Josh Beckett tries his fastball inside crap to Utley tonight and tries to intimidate, Utley will pull a ball so fast over the right field wall that Beckett wouln’t know what hit him.

Too bad that fat load known as David Ortiz can’t play 1st base anymore because he can’t move due to the load in his pants. Boston might have stood some chance if they had him in the lineup.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Owwww. Hey, if he was, I don’t blame him because Columbus is kinda bottom barrel. I don’t think those two guys turned out as expected. They got a little cocky. I have a feeling Richards will be missed though.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM

The search is over- you were with us all the while.

• spudchukar - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Life just isn’t the same without ya, good to see you back, I was getting bored.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Thanks. I was thinking of you as I was in a coma on vacation.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:20 PM

He did, at precisely 12:40 p.m. eastern time on June 23, 2011. It’s began a new era of which we shall call A.Bt. (After Bicepts). This post is from the grave of the HBT cemetery, meaning we may have a zombiet on our hands.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:29 PM

You are closer to the truth than you know, El Bravo. I just rumbled in this afternoon from the Jersey Shore. My B.A.C. was so high over these past 5 days that I feel like I’m ready for the cemetery.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM

You see? We do have something in common: we both nearly died at the Jersey shore. Despite the reputation, the shore is quite a nice place in my opinion and I’ve been ocean-side in quite a few places.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Cerrano, your line about Doc, Lee and Carlton being the best closers was a great line.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Those guys are finishers, what can I say?

• jjschiller - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM

ahem… *zombtie.

4. frankvzappa - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Tonight isn’t even going to be close. 8-1 Sox, take that to the bank.

• Phillies Homer - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Who do you think you’re scoring 8 runs off of?

Cliff Lee probably won’t go the distance, having notched 2 straight shutouts. So, i guess you’re hoping to work Stutes/Bastardo around when they come in to close out Lee’s once again dominant pitching performance?? Doubtful.

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM

the ‘bank…nice. I see what you did there. But I don’t see the Sox hanging 8 on a night when Lee’s pitching. Not saying the Phils will win, but 8-1? don’t kid yourself.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:38 PM

That’s the Marijooooooouana talkin’ Zappa!

• frankvzappa - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM

You might be right. I might be high.

• FC - Jun 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM

“Tonight isn’t even going to be close. 8-1 Sox, take that to the bank”

This is why I never predict games. It invites Karma to bite you in the a$$. You were right about one thing though… it wasn’t close…

• rexryanisablowhard - Jun 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM

got any betting advice?

5. spudchukar - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Go Phils!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I don’t like your attitude! Actually I do, but I’m rooting for two losses from the same game tonight, giving a slight edge to the Phils b/c they’re starting my fantasy gem, Mr. Cliff Lee.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM

You will love this.

• spudchukar - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I like them apples.

6. aceshigh11 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Beckett’s probably due to get lit up, considering how good he’s been so far.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Lee has been better than anyone in the last month. Wouldn’t that make him “due” as well?

• aceshigh11 - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Not really…Lee started the season off a little shaky, didn’t he?

Beckett hasn’t been lit up once all season.

I’d say he’s more due, especially coming off illness…not that I want him to be lit up, as a Sox fan. I’m just being realistic.

• spindervish - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Eh…Beckett struggled a bit in his first start against the Indians, and the Orioles roughed him up a bit a few starts later…maybe neither outing constitutes getting lit up, but shaky, certainly.

I do agree with your general point…Beckett coming off illness, on the road, small park…I don’t feel great about this.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

…in the last month. Lee has allowed one earned run in June. No pitcher has been better than Lee in June. For what it’s worth, I predict Lee will dominate again tonight and the Phils will win. Beckett will be an afterthought to Lee’s dominant evening.

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:56 PM

it wouldn’t suprise me if they tag Lee a little. After all, AGon bats .700 career vs. Lee (I think I saw that somewhere, but yes it’s a small sample size). But its still delusional for the poster further up to think the Sox can put 8 on the Phils on any night this series.

7. seanmk - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM

world series preview? thought that was brewers-yankees

• Ari Collins - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I think Phils-Sox is slightly more likely, but only slightly. I thumbs-upped.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM

World Series Game 1 starters…

Doc Halladay vs Josh Beckett

or

C.C. Sabathia vs Zack Grienke

or

Doc Halladay vs C.C. Sabathia

Which is most likely??? Or none of the above? Come on Potatoman…I know you have something to say about your boy Adam Wain-grow pulling a Willis Reed on everyone and starting game 1 of the World Series, right?

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Pssh! CC (he dropped the periods a couple years ago, much to your consternation I’m sure) Sabathis vs Tommy Hanson.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Doc Halladay vs. David Price.

• spudchukar - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM

We are saving him for game 7, better Drama.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Bruce Chen v Carlo Zambrano

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Bruce Chen v Carlos Zambrano

8. drmonkeyarmy - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Has anybody watched Aroldis Chapman since his return? I need some questions answered.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Since his return to Cuba? I didn’t know they accept defectors back.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:38 PM

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Thanks for the link Bravo. Upon watching 10 seconds of the footage, it is my opinion that he will start struggling again soon.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Good Doctor,

The Reds’ biggest mistake was not making Chapman a starter from the beginning and sticking with him, whether he struggled or not. You don’t sign an amateur to that kind of coin with his arm and talent and put him in the bullpen. You make him into a starter and teach him how to pitch and how to gain control.

Dumb Reds organization. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Agreed ‘Bicepts. They should have left him a starter and taught him how to pitch instead of rushing him along. Furthermore, they should have talked to him about his nasty habit of chomping on an obscene amount of sunflower seeds. I can’t believe the pitching staff hasn’t addressed this issue.

9. Ari Collins - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:06 PM

It’s tough to call a 3-game series, which can go either way. And the Phillies are at home, and the Sox are without half of their fearsome duo. But I’ll take the team that’s outscored their opponents by 85 in the tougher league to the team that’s outscored their opponents by 63 in the weaker.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I want big poopie to play, I really do. Watching him screw the Sox on D will give me much pleasure. If you read above, you know I’m not bluffing on that count either.

• seanmk - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:28 PM

the sox are also going to face worley and kendrick. if they don’t get at least 2 out of three it will be a huge success for the phillies.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM

No. Hamels is pitching Thursday instead of Kendrick. Lee, Worley and Hamels.

You have it the wrong way around. 2 out of 3 will be a huge success for Boston.

• seanmk - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM

is hamels going on thursday? i heard they were considering that to get the extra start in before the all star break (and to not have him pitch in the all star game by doing that)

• Utley's Hair - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Yup, King Cole is on the mound on Thursday.

10. foreverchipper10 - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I am rooting for a Sox sweetp. Anything to knock the Phils down a little.

11. nyyankeefanforever - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Craig:

My obvious Bronx-leaning bias notwithstanding, I think it’s amazing how so many fans and media types are glossing over the glaring hole in Boston’s scoring calculus with Ortiz’s bat removed from the equation in the i-league games, as well as how their growing DL impacts are not being offset by their bench players to the extent they were last season.

The Yankees have been dealing with major blows to its rotation, pen and lineup since Opening Day and still loom quite large in the post-season picture, as do the defending AL Beast champ Rays who everyone wrote off from the get-go and who IMHO possess the most monster rotation in the AL.

I’m not saying I disagree with your and everyone else’s assessment this series is a possible preview of the WS. Just saying I totally disagree with you that there isn’t plenty here for a contrarian to love. …Go Phillies!

• seanmk - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM

pretty sure the red sox will be able to get by without having ortiz in the lineup for a game. without him they are still the top offense in the league probably. grand scheme this is just an interleague series

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Yeah, disagree there. Ortiz is a big part of what Boston does offensively, but Adrian Gonzalez is looking like the AL MVP runner-up right now to Jose Bautista’s epic exploits, while Pedroia, Youkilis and Ellsbury have all been among the top couple of players at their respective positions this season.

• nyyankeefanforever - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Their recent i-league game results show quite the opposite, Sean. And you could change a few names in your reply and say the exact same thing about the Yankees, Kevin. Again, just sayin’.

In any event, I’m quite pleased everyone is scope-locked on these two teams and overlooking the Bombers and Rays. That sure can’t hurt our cause.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Kind of pathetic though when they don’t even want to play Ortiz at 1st base in interleague play even when Gonzalez is more than happy and capable playing the outfield. Ortiz can barely move.

Ortiz should thank his lucky stars that the DH exists. If not, that fat load would have been drummed out of baseball 5 years ago.

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Who said anything about the Yankees? I was just talking about Boston’s ability to field a competitive lineup. And, uh, yeah, don’t judge teams on a six-game sample. Just sayin’.

• Ari Collins - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I don’t think I’d say that Gonzalez is capable out there. He’s a very slow man. I would not want to see him in the OF.

• Joe - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM

The Sox are missing Crawford, too. When they face a lefty and throw out a lineup including Darnell McDonald and Mike Cameron, things get a little ugly, to say the least.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Here we go again. WAH WAH WAH!!!

What “major blows to its rotation, pen and lineup” are you talking about?

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Losing Bartolo Colon’s 3.10 ERA isn’t a major blow to the rotation? Losing the expected contributions of Hughes, Chamberlain and Soriano weren’t major blows to the rotation and pen? Obviously, the lineup hasn’t taken any blows unless somebody honestly expected Jeter and Posada to fire up the Way Back machine.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Ohno, you didn’t just throw out Colon and his 38 year old, hadn’t pitched in 3 years hammies as a major blow to the rotation did you? And what was Hughes expected to contribute? Another season with an ERA above 4? Shit, Garcia has been better than anything you could have expected from Hughes. And the “Fat Toad”? Come on. Soriano has been a blow to the payroll, but he never really pitched to his potential even before he was injured…him and his 5.40 ERA.

Come on Yankees fans…I ask for “major injuries” and you give me Colon, Hughes, and the Fat Toad??? WOOOOOOAAAAA!!!

Call me when Cano, Tex, A-Rod, Granderson, Swisher, CC or Mariano go on the DL. Until then, stop whining about injuries already.

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Hey, I’m not whining here, I’m just saying they’re missing guys who either were contributing or were expected to contribute. It’s a statement of fact, not a complaint. Every team has injuries. When you asked about the ones the Yankees had, I answered.

• nyyankeefanforever - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Chris:

Don’t understand your ‘tude, dude. Wasn’t crying about it and in fact was doing quite the opposite: underscoring the team’s resiliency as did many Sox fans last season, which i acknowledged and believe is an oft-overlooked factor to be embraced by contrarians in the present landscape. We’re in 1st place i andn the toughest division in sports so I’ve got exactly zero complaints to make. However, since you asked the question and obviously don’t read the papers:

Rotation blows: Hughes and Colon to DL.

Pen: Feliciano, Soriano, Marte and Chamberlain to DL.

Lineup: Jeter and Chavez to DL; and Teixeira, Martin and Rodriguez have all missed games due to injury and are all playing hurt as we speak.

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:17 PM

eeshh… the way this is progressing next thing you know Kevin S. will be touting Freddy Garcia as a Cy Young candidate. And people on here call us Phils fans homers.

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Uh, what? Hughes, Chamberlain and Soriano were counted on to play key roles coming into the season – fact. Bartolo Colon has a 3.10 ERA, which is good – fact. How does that progress to advocating Freddy Garcia for Cy Young? I’d rather have one of the Killer Bs in the rotation than him.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM

OMG you Yankers fans crack me up. Another genius talking about 38 YEAR OLD OUT OF THE LEAGUE FOR A HUNDRED YEARS DUG UP OFF THE SCRAP HEAP AND LUCKY TO EVEN HAVE PITCHED AS WELL AS HE DID FOR 2 MONTHS BARTOLO COLON’s injury as a major blow. Seriously?

And you have the guts to compare your injuries to the injuries of Boston from last year? Seriously. Pedroia played in 75 games. Ellsbury played in 18. Youk played in 102 games. And you are comparing your injuries to those of the Red Sox from last year? You guys are absolutely 100% pathetic.

PHIL HUGHES HAD A 4+ ERA LAST YEAR. You have gotten more from Garcia than you would have from Hughes. So you can’t complain about Hughes because he was replaced by Garcia. Get it?

Tex has played in 75 out of 76 games. A-Rod has played in 71. Cano…75. Swisher…72. Granderson…76. Rivera is healthy. CC is healthy. That’s it. That’s all that matters. Soriano had a 5.40 ERA when he got hurt. Feliciano? The guy from the Mets? Never pitched an inning for the Yankers this year? You want to throw HIM out there?

Some of you Yankers fans are as pathetic as it gets. Yeah, with injuries to Hughes, Jeter, and the Fat Toad you are still in first place. It is all the resiliancy of the Yankers and not the $200+ million dollar payroll, right?

p.s. I apologize to uyf for my rant on him yesterday…I must have confused him with someone else when I said he whined about injuries. I checked and he didn’t. Yankeefanforever…when you say this “The Yankees have been dealing with major blows to its rotation, pen and lineup since Opening Day and still loom quite large in the post-season picture” you are whining about injuries.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Chris, you are on this rant the last two days how Yankers fans are whiners, only to prove to yourself this is not particularly the case.
        You know on a day-to-day basis uyf and myself will comment on the good and the bad, and the bad is a players performance, not anyone’s injuries.
        We’re used to dealing with the cards dealt and don’t want anything except dedicated effort from those on the team playing any particular day.

12. nyyankeefanforever - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM

C’mon CJ. Nobody’s claiming Garcia and Colon or any of the Yankees we’ve mentioned ar Cy Young or MVP. But they are most certainly key pieces to our team. That should be obvious.

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM

yes, that admittedly would be exaggerating on my part, but at the same time, with respect, so are you.

What’s “obvious” to me is that the “key piece to [y]our team” named Colon has been adequately replaced by one Brian Gordon, who was a AAA journeyman handed to you by a team very well aware that they could easily be facing you in the world series and certainly wouldn’t want to do much to help you. That can only mean one of two things: 1) Amaro is a very nice guy, or 2) they don’t think highly of Gordon.

Fact is, anyone can pitch at the back end of that rotation put up an ERA in the 4 range and stockpile a bunch of wins behind that lineup. Losing them isn’t ay sort of a big deal. And yes, I’d say the same thing about Blaton, Worley, or Kendrick if it were the Phils. Heck even Oswalt’s injury doesn’t concern me as much as it probably should given that he’s our 4th starter on a stacked team.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:39 PM

CJ, can you believe that the Phillies have the best record in baseball? Considering they have had major blows to their lineup, pen, and starting pitching? I mean, Utley missed half the season so far, LIdge has been out, Contreras has been off and on the DL. Ruiz and Shane spend time on the DL. Plus, the Phillies lost Blanton for most of the year, JC Romero was hurt there for a while and now Oswalt is out. WOW it’s amazing the Phillies still have the best record in baseball. It must be their resiliency, right?

Or maybe, just maybe, all of those injuries, with the exception of Oswalt, DON’T MEAN DICK. If I were serious above, I would expect to be called an idiot, and expect to hear “Call me when Doc, Lee or Carlton go on the DL” because to be honest, they are the only 3 guys that truly matter on this team.

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Chris,

Just imagine what their record would be if they had Colon as their 5th starter! LMAO

• nyyankeefanforever - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Colon has been “adequately replaced by Colon”??? Really? Good lord, man, what team do you root for that you would take THAT swap?

And of COURSE Oswalt’s loss doesn’t concern you with your rotation. Puleeze. He may be your back of rotation guy but that’s not anyhwere in the vicinity of the same situation we have. Roy would be our number two and you know it. Sheesh. When the Yankees win with our stars we bought it, and when we win with guys we picked up for bag of balls it doesn’t count? Statements like that just amaze me, especially coming from fans of the other two high-priced payrolls in MLB.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I know I am over the top, but it started yesterday and it continues over to today with me. These Yankers fans whining about injuries when the core of their team has missed a TOTAL of 10 games, drives me nuts. I mean, to say that losing BARTOLO STINKING COLON was a big blow…Jesus. And I have a lot respect for Kevin S too…but for him to also try to run that past me was surprising.

• nyyankeefanforever - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Colon has been “adequately replaced by Gordon”??? Really?

• FC - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM

“Call me when Doc, Lee or Carlton go on the DL”

I think you meant Hamels.

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM

k, maybe Gordon’s a bad example. But still, when Garcia and Colon are piling up wins in the back of that rotation in 2011, that means pretty much anyone can.

And again with the turning things around! Oswalt IS exactly what you said, good enough to be the #2 on the yankees, I’d have every right to be concerned about his injury regardless of where that puts him on the Phillies’ depth chart. To say you could be concerned if he was hurt for the Yankess but I couldn’t if he’s hurt on the Phillies, is incomprehensible. Do you hear how silly you sound?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM

FC, no I meant Carlton.

CJ, it is useless to try to argue. Just admit that the Yankees have been ravished by injuries and they are such a resilient bunch that they have fought all the way back and are now leading the AL East despite all those terrible injuries…like the Red Sox last year LOL.

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:06 PM

And no one said the Yankees successes this season don’t count. I admit they’re having a great year. It’s only when fans cry poor mouth and “woe is me” Bartolon Colon is hurt! Whatever shall we do!, that I’ll call you out.

If you remember I did the same thing to my fellow Phils fans when they were freaking out about the offense with Utley and Brown hurt while in first place. It’s not necessary! It’s freaking July (then May)! Who cares?

Don’t use injuries as an excuse when you’re in first place. Ever. It’s ridiculous. I don’t care if you’re reading this as a Yankess fan or Phillies fan that said the same thing 2 months, it’s just plain dumb.

• nyyankeefanforever - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM

CJ, I was responding to your saying this—->”Heck even Oswalt’s injury doesn’t concern me as much as it probably should given that he’s our 4th starter on a stacked team.”

Did I misunderstand?

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM

nope, you understood, but I think you’re counterpoint went awry somewhere. You’re saying Oswalt’s loss shouldn’t worry bme becuase he’s better than the guy you lost to injury. Please explain where I misunderstood or show me how that makes any sense whatsoever.

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Colon was posting a 3.10 ERA. His peripherals and velo supported the idea that the surgery was successful and his performance was for real. Maybe his arm was a ticking time bomb, but that’s not what put him on the DL, and there’s no reason the Yanks couldn’t have expected him to continue performing the way he was. The guys they’ve replaced him with are not expected to perform nearly as well as he has. Thus, losing him is a major blow. You’re focusing on the name, not on the performance.

• CJ - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:23 PM

if anyone thought Colon posting a 3.10 ERA up to this point was sustainable, they were looking at the name and forgetting what year it was.

it’s still been proven that anyone can put up a mid4’s ERA in the back of that rotation and stockpile a bunch of wins in recent years, meaning those pitchers should be much easier to replace without the need of a quality arm. I’ve yet to see either of the two of you refute that.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Kevin, I’ll twist it around and say you are looking at the performance instead of the name. Sure, he pitched well. But he is no spring chicken and he wasn’t expected to 1) do well and 2) last a full season with perfect health. He defied #1 but couldn’t get past #2. You are lucky to have gotten 10 very good starts out of him. You would NEVER have even signed Colon if Hughes was healthy, so you can’t bitch about Colon AND Hughes, can you??? Yet you want to talk about the loss of them both. PLUS, Garcia has done MUCH BETTER than Hughes did last year, and if Hughes had been healthy, you may not have even signed Garcia either.

Come on guys…you can’t have it all. Hughes got hurt…but he had a 4.15 ERA last year. So you got lucky with Garcia and Colon. Be happy about them. Don’t whine about injuries…especially since they are injuries to your role guys, not your core.

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Colon was signed in spring training, long before Hughes went on the DL. No, he was no spring chicken, but again, the velocity and peripherals indicated the performance was for real. If he’d had an arm injury, I’d have shrugged and said “yeah, that was bound to happen.” But he didn’t. All I’m asking you to acknowledge is that the Yankees are worse off with Brian Gordon in their rotation than Bartolo Colon.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Yeah Kevin, I guess since the guy who is now your #5 pitcher is not pitching as well as the guy who was your #5, then the Yankers are in first place despite all of these major blows to their rotation. And with the devastating blows to the pen because of injuries to Feliciano and Soriano, I am shocked the Yankers aren’t fighting with the Orioles to stay out of the basement of the AL East. Boy they really are warriors those underdog woe-is-us Yankers.

• Kevin S. - Jun 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Just because he was slotted in to be the #5 pitcher doesn’t mean he’s been the fifth-best pitcher – indeed, he’d been the second-best pitcher on the team. Replacing one’s second-best pitcher with a AAA journeyman is a blow.

• nyyankeefanforever - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Chris, I think the only whining being done here is by you. When you play the big payroll card and discount injuries to guys before Opening Day and to players who were being counted on to play significant roles like Feliciano and Soriano, and to guys like Joba who, like it or not, were filling key roles as being meaningless subtractions, you’ve lost all credibility. Thanks for the stats and the effort, but nothing you’ve said applies to the conversation at hand:

I agree the Sox-Phillies series is most definitely a matchup of WS favorites. They were also everybody’s favorites last season and we all saw how that panned out. Still lots of games to go, and I’m just chuckling at the tunnel vision I’m seeing out there in the media — and in here by some. I for one believe, as a fan of a team that has played in October 15 of the last 16 seasons that it’s faaaaaar from over and still up for grabs.Try to lay off the hater-ade and just enjoy all the subplots to one of the most exciting seasons we’ve seen in years. You’ll live longer that way, my friend.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:52 PM

No sir, you played the “The Yankees have been dealing with major blows to its rotation, pen and lineup since Opening Day and still loom quite large in the post-season picture” card and you have to deal with the stupidity of that statement. Don’t turn it around on me.

If you consider a team with a $200 million dollar payroll to be playing well, despite losing a washed-up 38 year old #5 starter(Colon), a worn-out guy from the Mutts who was never a real threat to pitch for the team since he was damaged goods from the start(Feliciano), a guy with a 5.40 ERA(Soriano), a guy hated by most Yankers fans(Joba), and you want to say Tex is playing injured even though he has played in 75 out of 76 games, and A-Rod has only missed 5 games himself, then you sound like a complete fool.

Again, your team’s core is the following guys…Cano, Tex, Granderson, A-Rod, Swisher, CC and Mo. Everyone else is just bit role players. Period. Shit, even your #2 starter has been healthy all year, although he sucks.

Face it, you made a stupid remark. Just own up to it, admit your stupidity, and we’ll move on.

13. rexryanisablowhard - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM

This is why Interleague blows, because whoever you think will be there in the end, these games are best played in October rather than June.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Yes. I agree. Interleague play sucks on many levels.

• nyyankeefanforever - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Agree 100 percent, rex. The AS game and Ws are all the i-league anybody needs. And I think everyone on the planet — with the exception of some NL team owners — agrees with us too.

14. halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Tonights lineups:

Phillies: Rollins, Polanco, Utley, Howard, Victorino, Ibanez, Brown, Ruiz, Lee

Boston: Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzales, Youkalis, McDonald, Varitek, Cameron, Scutaro, Beckett

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM

McDonald may be the worst #5 hitter in the history of baseball. He makes Ben Francisco look like Hank Aaron.

Now watch he will go out and hit a bomb off Cliff tonight.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM

You ain’t kidding. It’s usually shit guys like him that beat the Phillies.

I havle a feeling Utley is going to have a big series. He’s due, especially power-wise. I’m calling two bombs for Utley over the next 3 games.

Maybe Dom the Bomb will step up too.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I just got offered 3 HOF club tickets. And I can’t make it. Last minute ticket offerings are just plain EVIL!

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Ouch J5…that sucks. I’ll be in the HOF club tonight. Section 230. If you do go, stop by and yell “FIORENTINO” so I know who you are ;)

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Jonny,

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. Especially the HOF club tickets, with easy access to the full liquor bar. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM

No kidding, same section Chris. That would have been pretty cool.

I’m kinda worn thin tonight and have a few stops to make before I go home, then I have to pick them up alllll the way in Swedesboro if i want to go. It’ll be too much i think just to show up late.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Don’t tell me you are picking them up from a meat plant, are you?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I’ll take the Phightins 9-hole hitter over the BooSux’s.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Yeah, Cliff Lee is really swinging the bat well, as well as swiping a base earlier this year. But, I’ll tell you what, Beckett isn’t a bad hitter, either. I remember when he played for the Fish that he got some hits off the Phillies. He’s not a definite out.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

But he wasn’t hitting against Cliffy.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3335)