Bob Davidson, Joe West, Angel Hernandez snubbed from All-Star Game duties!

Jun 29, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT

Jerry Layne

I’ll admit it: when I got the MLB press release announcing the umpires for the All-Star Game, I secretly hoped that some bad ones would be named so I could write some outraged prose. It’s really good for the soul. Quite cathartic.

Sadly, it appears that baseball has only chosen decent umpires. Or at least ones I have no memory of being in the news in recent years, which is pretty much the same thing as being a decent umpire.  Your crew:

Home Plate/Crew Chief: Dale Scott
1B: Jerry Layne
2B: Hunter Wendelstedt
3B: Dan Iassogna
LF: Ed Hickox
RF: Chris Guccione

Here’s hoping you stay mostly anonymous, fellas.

1. skerney - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Davidson = Iffy balks
    Hernandez = Awful floating strike zone
    West = Fame seeking instigator

• skerney - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:12 PM

All the absurd thumbs down = Another umpire inserting himself into the situation.

2. kopy - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Hunter Wendelstedt is a terrible ump. I cringe whenever he works a Twins game. He has had it in for Ron Gardenhire many times over the years. I’m not trying to be a homer. He’s just not good. At least he’s not behind the plate in this ASG, though.

• paperlions - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:55 PM

This is correct. Hunter W. is an atrocious umpire.

The problem with the big 3 in the headline, IMO, isn’t that they aren’t that good at their job, there are quite a few MLB umps that aren’t very good anymore (seriously, with the data showing how quickly eye sight and reflexes start to degrade after age 40, it is kind of stupid to have old guys in a profession that relies so much on keenness of vision…anyway), the problem with these three is how they interact with the players and coaches and how they comport themselves on the field. They are simply horrible arbiters.

• kirkmack - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Hunter Wendelstedt would not be in the major leagues if his last name wasn’t Wendlestedt. He’s the annoying douchebag in college that has a building on campus named after someone in his family that thinks he is entitled to be the big man on campus even though he doesn’t know his behind from a hole in the ground.

At least he isn’t behind the plate, even though that is probably the easiest gig- if it is remotely close, call it a strike, if it bounces in front of home plate or goes to the backstop, its a ball. No need to take it seriously…

3. proudlycanadian - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Could someone please remind me why baseball can’t get rid of the lousy umpires? Do they have a job for life?

• Old Gator - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Ooops, looks like you attracted the attention of the umprie’s union.

4. jimbo1949 - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Nice pic of a C5A Galaxy coming in for a landing.

• cur68 - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Flaps down, gear out, intake WIDE open; she’s heavy.

5. spudchukar - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Angel Hernandez just called Joey Votto out on a curve ball from J.P. Howell that was a foot outside, and as a caveat I am rooting for the Rays. With Joe West and Angel Campos can there be a worse crew in MLB history?

6. CJ - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM

what’s with all the thumbs opinting in the wrong direction….do people on here actually think hernandez and west are even remotely competent at their profession?

• kopy - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I think there’s a way to mess with your browser that yields repeated votes. It’s been talked about before, and I think someone (who loves umps) is messing around. skerney had like 30 thumbs down before I posted a comment, even though we posted 6 minutes apart.

• CJ - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Joe West, is that you?

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Fat guy in a little hat. Fat guy in a little hat…

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Good analogy, El Bravo. Did you know that many years ago (30 + years), the umpires had to stay almost in good of shape as the players? Then, during the 80’s, that changed and you got the likes of Eric Gregg (RIP), who was 400 pounds.

I agree, though. Most of these umpires are fat slobs that don’t have a consistent strike zone.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I did not know that, thus you’ve taught me something. That’s two new things I learned today, one is that umps used to be in better shape, and two, that Bicepts can teach me things.

8. chrisdtx - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Also: CB Bucknor snubbed from this headline!

• paperlions - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Thought the same thing.

• paperlions - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I hope the thumbs down thing is satisfying….because it won’t affect people’s opinion about how crappy these particular umpires are in all facets of their jobs….but hey, thumbs up for trying to impose group think.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM

paperlions,

I have a feeling I know who’s doing this because weeks ago I talked about the absurdity of the thumbs up/thumbs down thing and how to manipulate it through web browser settings. But, I’m not calling him out by name because I actually like the poster.

To whomever is doing it, get a life and stop it. It doesn’t change people’s opinions and is a waste of time to do so. Instead of doing this, debate like the Bicepts does. Don’t stoop to the levels of the other people.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 29, 2011 at 5:07 PM

That’s right, dammit. Be man, and refer to yourself in 3rd person!

And call everyone who supports a different team Dirtbag, Dirtbag!

9. paperlions - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Joe West is a fantastic human being.

Bob Davidson is dreamy.

Angel Hernandez is a fantastic dancer.

• hittfamily - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM

You thought you could fool me huh.

Signed
      Lulzsec

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:54 PM

hittfamily, are you the master of thumbs downs (or ups)?

• hittfamily - Jun 29, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I am neither. I was pretending to be the internet hacking group lulzsec, that has been in the news latley. I have far better things to do with my time than refresh my internet cache 150 times to annoy people.

Actually, I dont have better things to do which is why I am contributing to this board, but it is not me doing the thumbing

10. ditto65 - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Why so many downward facing thummbs?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Because someone is clearing the cashe of their computer and keep selecting the thumbs down. See my above post.

• ditto65 - Jun 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I missed that. Guess the Umpire’s Union is on a mission.

• cur68 - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I hope they keep doing it. The more they mess with it the more likely MSNBC will get rid of the stupid things.

• cur68 - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:11 PM

PS: Scott Barry is a POS. Anyone who would throw Ryan James Howard out of a game in the 14th inning is a POS. May his hemorrhoids flare with infection from now to eternity.

There. “Thumbs down” that.

• skerney - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I gave you a thumbs down for two reasons: 1) that game was last august 2) You said Ryan James Howard. But I do agree that that ejection was so uncalled for.

• cur68 - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I gave you a thumbs down for 2 reasons:
        1) The ejection happened. I was watching when it happened. I am as pissed now as I am then.

2) “James” happens to be his middle name so I am baffled by your comment.

Not to worry though. Most things baffle me.

11. aceshigh11 - Jun 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

The three worst umps in the game, by far.

12. drunkenhooliganism - Jun 29, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Did the umpires union hire the same guy that thumbs up the sycophantic pro-ownership douchebaggery on the previously readable PFT

13. grizz2202 - Jun 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Umpires are fat! Fatty McFatties! They deep fry Twinkies, dip them in lard, and use Wesson Oil as napkins to wipe their fatty fat faces!

(I don’t give two shits about umpires in general, I just wanted a bunch of thumbs down so I could see what it was like to be halladaysbicepts for a day.)

Oh, and the “thumbs down” guy is fat. So am I.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3668)