Jun 29, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Carlos Gonzalez followed up his monster 2010 season by getting off to a slow start this year, hitting just .254 with a .728 OPS through 57 games.
However, since Dexter Fowler’s injury/demotion and manager Jim Tracy’s decision to move Gonzalez into the leadoff spot (and center field) he’s thrived, hitting .360 with four homers, nine doubles, and a 1.021 OPS in 21 games.
During that time the Rockies are 12-9, turning things around following a sluggish 27-31 start.
Gonzalez has plenty of previous experience as a leadoff hitter, but it’ll be interesting to see if Tracy is tempted to move him back into the middle of the lineup now that he’s producing big numbers again. At the time of the switch that was the stated plan.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)