Jun 29, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
Chris Davis hit well in limited action with Texas earlier this season, but the Rangers don’t seem particularly interested in giving him another extended opportunity. So instead he’s destroying Triple-A pitching.
Davis has hit .374 with 19 homers and 52 RBIs in 33 games at Triple-A. Admittedly the Pacific Coast League is very hitter-friendly and that monstrous production comes with Davis’ usual lack of strike-zone control in the form of a 41/9 K/BB ratio, but his OPS is a ridiculous 1.300.
Including his previous Triple-A stints Davis has now hit .335 with a 1.000 OPS in 211 games there, so at this point it seems pretty obvious that the 25-year-old has nothing left to prove in the minors. Unfortunately in the majors he’s hit just .231 with a .701 OPS in 179 games since his strong half-season debut in 2008, striking out 208 times in 612 trips to the plate.
Davis explained during spring training that he’d rather be traded than head back to Triple-A and the Rangers didn’t oblige then, but whether they call him up or start shopping him around it’ll be tough to simply keep him stashed in the minors for much longer.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)