Jun 29, 2011, 8:26 PM EDT
Jeter fielded ground balls, took batting practice and ran the bases Wednesday morning in Tampa, reporting no issues with his once-strained right calf.
He’ll continue doing similar workouts through the end of this week and will fly out to Trenton on Friday if everything continues to go smoothly.
Jeter is sitting on 2,994 career major league hits and should be able to get back to his pursuit of 3,000 early next week. The Yanks begin a three-game series on Monday in Cleveland then return to New York on Friday for a lengthy homestand. Unless Jeter falls into a major slump upon returning, it seems likely that he will register hit No. 3,000 at Yankee Stadium.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)