Giants interested in reunion with Dodgers’ Juan Uribe?

Jun 29, 2011, 8:43 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News heard from a “secondhand” source Wednesday evening that the Giants are attempting to reacquire infielder Juan Uribe from the Dodgers.

Uribe inked a three-year, $21 million free agent contract with Los Angeles in November that the Dodgers surely already regret. The 31-year-old is batting just .206/.275/.304 with 51 strikeouts in 236 plate appearances this season and spent time on the disabled list in May with a strained hip flexor.

Most teams would want to avoid a hefty contract and an unproductive, injury-prone player, but Giants GM Brian Sabean is known for operating in mysterious ways and always seems to have a craving for veteran players. It should be noted that ESPN’s Buster Olney heard the Dodgers have not engaged in any “substantive” trade talks yet and don’t plan to for another couple weeks.

The Giants lost second baseman Freddy Sanchez to a dislocated shoulder in early June and can’t yet be sure if he is going to avoid season-ending surgery. Mike Fontenot is also sidelined with a strained left groin.

UPDATE, 8:43 PM: Sabean called the Wrigley Field press box moments ago to personally shoot down the rumor, according to Baggarly. So, uh, that’s that.

1. skerney - Jun 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Baggarlys “second hand” source is a speculative blog post POSTED BY A FAN on The Chronicles fan forum. If this is what passes as a “source nowadays I am freaking disgusted.

Read it here for yourself, it was posted last night by a poster called ToRiceAgain.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 29, 2011 at 8:59 PM

That is ridiculous. Journalism these days.

• Drew Silva - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:06 PM

If that’s really where he’s picking up the information, that’s flat-out awful.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Drew,
        I have some theories about various baseball related topics and also self propagated rumors. You can use me as a second hand source if you wish. I don’t claim to have any insider information, but I think you would find my theories about Arolodis Chapman’s control problems highly intriguing.

• skerney - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Drew, I read this last night before I went to bed. It was posted at 12:44 AM. Then this afternoon Baggarly is reporting basically the same thing that ToRiceAgain speculated as a legitimate trade rumor. This story materialized out of thin air after a person posed a the scenario on a messageboard. If this is what happened Baggarly should be called out for it because lots of people (me included) look to him for news. Sabean had to personally call to the pressbox before then game to shoot this down. That alone makes it fishy.

• Drew Silva - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I’m all ears, dude. You tell me the Yankees are getting Prince Fielder and Felix Hernandez at the deadline and I’m posting. In fact, I’ve already saved a rough draft. Just give me the go-ahead.

• Drew Silva - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Baggarly is usually pretty rock-solid, but I found it odd from the get-go that he called it a “secondhand” rumor. I mean, nobody does that…

• skerney - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Agreed, Baggarly is a great guy on the beat. But I’m with you, calling it a “second hand” source from the get go makes the whole thing stink.

2. xmatt0926x - Jun 29, 2011 at 9:13 PM

The Giants biggest problem as far as getting a dynasty going is the inability to add significant payroll and your telling me they would pick up that contract for a guy hitting barely above .200? No way. But, as a fan of a competing national league team I say go for it Sabean, you friggen tool bag you! I can’t stand that guy.

• ceadderman - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Agreed. I’ll forever respect Uribe for what he did for us last season, but trading for a guy with a mindless, tree years at $7 mil a season that is as old and hitting slightly over .200? That is a hell of a stretch to think that Sabes would make a deal like that. Even with TrolLALA picking up the bulk of the tab. You make trades for players that WILL make you better when you’re in First. You don’t make trades that could cause a bottleneck in your payroll that sends the incumbent packing.

…Unless the incumbent is Uribe. ;p lol