Jun 29, 2011, 8:43 PM EDT
Uribe inked a three-year, $21 million free agent contract with Los Angeles in November that the Dodgers surely already regret. The 31-year-old is batting just .206/.275/.304 with 51 strikeouts in 236 plate appearances this season and spent time on the disabled list in May with a strained hip flexor.
Most teams would want to avoid a hefty contract and an unproductive, injury-prone player, but Giants GM Brian Sabean is known for operating in mysterious ways and always seems to have a craving for veteran players. It should be noted that ESPN’s Buster Olney heard the Dodgers have not engaged in any “substantive” trade talks yet and don’t plan to for another couple weeks.
The Giants lost second baseman Freddy Sanchez to a dislocated shoulder in early June and can’t yet be sure if he is going to avoid season-ending surgery. Mike Fontenot is also sidelined with a strained left groin.
UPDATE, 8:43 PM: Sabean called the Wrigley Field press box moments ago to personally shoot down the rumor, according to Baggarly. So, uh, that’s that.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 22
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)