Jun 29, 2011, 8:43 PM EDT
Uribe inked a three-year, $21 million free agent contract with Los Angeles in November that the Dodgers surely already regret. The 31-year-old is batting just .206/.275/.304 with 51 strikeouts in 236 plate appearances this season and spent time on the disabled list in May with a strained hip flexor.
Most teams would want to avoid a hefty contract and an unproductive, injury-prone player, but Giants GM Brian Sabean is known for operating in mysterious ways and always seems to have a craving for veteran players. It should be noted that ESPN’s Buster Olney heard the Dodgers have not engaged in any “substantive” trade talks yet and don’t plan to for another couple weeks.
The Giants lost second baseman Freddy Sanchez to a dislocated shoulder in early June and can’t yet be sure if he is going to avoid season-ending surgery. Mike Fontenot is also sidelined with a strained left groin.
UPDATE, 8:43 PM: Sabean called the Wrigley Field press box moments ago to personally shoot down the rumor, according to Baggarly. So, uh, that’s that.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (70)