Josh Johnson to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews

Jun 29, 2011, 10:00 AM EST

Marlins' Johnson delivers a pitch against the Phillies in the first inning during their MLB National League baseball game in Miami

Ruh-roh.  Josh Johnson will be examined by Dr. James Andrews today after experiencing more discomfort in his shoulder following a lackluster bullpen session on Friday. Team president Larry Beinfest said “it’s not great,” but everyone is still making “it’s precautionary” noises for now.

Shoulders are way scarier than elbows. Just thought I should throw that out there. And here’s hoping that Dr. Andrews just throws Johnson out of his office, laughing at the fact that they even bothered to schedule the exam over such nothings.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Dr. Andrews, after examination: “Mr. Johnson, are you familiar with my good friend, Tommy John?”

• micquarters - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM

“well, you don’t need to know him because you have a shoulder injury. i was just curious.”

• bigxrob - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Ahh, Mr. Bicepts, such a simple comment, and yet so incorrect.

• atlsp - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Umm, considering Dr. Andrews performed Johnson’s 2007 Tommy John surgery, I believe the answer to that question would be “yes.”

Now about that shoulder…

• Old Gator - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Mr. Bicepts, are you familiar with my casual acquaintence, Duane Bobick?

2. kopy - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I want to know how much this Dr. James Andrews guy makes in a year. Every single luxury item in the world has a competitor. However, in medicine, if you didn’t get orthopedic surgery from Dr. James Andrews, you didn’t really get orthopedic surgery.

• Alex K - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I’m not sure his first name, but Dr. Yocum in California does a lot of elbow sugeries.

• Alex K - Jun 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Well, he did Strasburg’s, at least.

• natstowngreg - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Didn’t Dr. Yocum do the first Tommy John surgery, on the actual Tommy John? At least, that’s what I recall.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM

This is just sad. I love Josh Johnson, and I hope it is nothing more than a precaution. Anyone who doesn’t appreciate and respect the skills of guys on the competition is just being a dick. I have a similar respect for Hanson in Atlanta. In my opinion, he’s the next Clemens provided he stays healthy.

4. foreverchipper10 - Jun 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I hope JJ is ok. One of the premier pitchers in the league even though he is a foe in the NL East. And boy do I hope Hanson turns out to be the next Clemens. In numbers, not court appearances.

5. APBA Guy - Jun 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM

One of my other Florida nephews, one who wasn’t in the LLWS, is a pitcher, 6’5″, ie about Josh Johnson’s size, and just spent yesterday morning being administered to by Dr. Andrews. Right shoulder, also. We’ll find out today if the recovery period is 6 weeks or 12 months. The conversation, as relayed to me by him the night before the surgery, is very one-sided and goes something like this:

Andrews: “You aren’t responding to therapy like we’d hoped. Your strength tests aren’t what we wanted to see, and your range of motion remains compromised. It could be X (technical term), Y (new technical term), or Z (Latin with technical term). We just don’t know.”
    Patient: “Yes…”
    Andrews: “So we’re going in. We’ll look around in the front and back, clean up any fraying, and if there is anything more serious, we’ll fix that.”
    Patient: “But…”
    Andrews: “So I’ll see you at 6:00 am. Don’t eat or drink ANYTHING after midnight. The nurse will explain the rest.”

That’s the gist of it anyway. I gather that this week must be shoulder week at the Andrews Clinic. By the way, business is so good he’s opened a place in Pensacola to go along with his Alabama location.

As this relates to Johnson, they’ll test him first, but if they don’t like what they see, that conversation above will be repeated, but as he’s a world class athlete and not a college scholarship pitcher, I imagine he’ll get a few seconds more detail in the explanation. If Johnson is coming along, then Marlins fans will know it by the end of the day. Good luck to him.

6. banksatdixie - Jun 29, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Not to be nit-picky here, but he is 6’7. I’m 6’5 and my “little” brother is 6’7, and he dwarfs my ass. So just giving JJ his due diligence….

• APBA Guy - Jun 29, 2011 at 2:48 PM

For those of us nowhere near 6’5″ or 6’7″, “about” translates to “way bigger than me” :)

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4862)
  2. M. Kemp (3444)
  3. J. Upton (2527)
  4. J. Kang (2495)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2472)
  1. C. McGehee (2451)